It's the simplest things...

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
calan

It's the simplest things...

Post by calan »

...that makes a nerd smile.

If anyone tries to tell you that it's not worth spending the money on quality optics, just slap them in their silly head. :)

I finally bit the bullet and bought a parracor II for my F/3.9 astrograph, and the difference in resolution and detail is astounding (not to mention the coma correction of course).

I was shooting one of my favorite targets, Abell 426, with a very tight FWHM filter to get only the best frames I could on a windy night in suburban OKC. After 2-1/2 hours of total exposure (10-second subs), I saw something unexpected. When I zoomed in on a small area, I was able to clearly see two galaxies almost perfectly hidden behind foreground stars.

This is a screen capture directly off the SC window...not even an actual image file.

http://www.jcsautomation.com/temp/hidden_galaxies.png
Last edited by calan on Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Menno555

Re: It's the simplest things...

Post by Menno555 »

That is indeed very cool :)
And I recognize the nerdiness. Capturing 20 hours of M106 @f/10 and processing it is cool and all. But capturing that hard to capture faint, tiny galaxy does give much more "satisfaction".

Menno
timh

Post by timh »

calan wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:40 am that makes a nerd smile.
So -as a true nerd - you now have me imagining a bar chart plotting the range of hobbies and interests versus some objective index of nerdiness. I am afraid that we astroimagers are all right up there alongside the train spotters, experts on electric pylon design etc :-)

Really like that image btw -- and can well understand the satisfaction of seeing such perfect round stars and subtle detail. It is rare that I can get my Newtonian (plus paracorr) tuned up to better than ~ r= 0.95

Tim
calan

Post by calan »

:D
timh wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:10 am It is rare that I can get my Newtonian (plus paracorr) tuned up to better than ~ r= 0.95

Tim
Same. I have an Orion 8" f/3.9 astrograph, and have been fighting a lot of little things that all add up (and being in a windy city suburb doesn't help). I still have a few issues I'm dealing with and trying to nail down, but the parracor alone turned it into a whole new scope.

Main priority right now is a new focuser, if I can ever get hold of Ron at Moonlight.
calan

Post by calan »

Here is a good comparison of the scope before and after the parracor, under very similar conditions just two nights apart.

http://jcsautomation.com/temp/able_426_compare.png