Debayer Preview

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
MLM

Debayer Preview

Post by MLM »

I recently got a new OSC camera (ZWO ASI 2600 MC) and found when using a dual narrow band filter that images displayed with Debayer Preview on have a lurid pink background instead of gray/black :geek: . I don't remember this with my prior camera (ZWO ASI 071 MC), but maybe I'm not remembering correctly. Both are RGGB with the major difference being the size of pixel array and file (larger in 2600).

Images from the 2600 display with correct color balance using ASI Fits Viewer, and in PixInsight (in the latter RGB channels must be unlinked). Does SharpCap display RGB images with the channels linked? Is it possible to unlink the channels in SharpCap? Am I missing something obvious?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Debayer Preview

Post by admin »

Hi,

for 'normal' colours, Debayer Preview should be set to 'On' (there are various force options in case ON picks the wrong pattern, but those should not be necessary for ZWO cameras). Also make sure the white balance controls are set the the defaults of 50,50 .

Setting a 'flip' option other than none can affect the pattern, but SharpCap should auto-correct for that for ZWO camers. Best to try None anyway.

A good way to check the pattern is to shine a red torch onto the sensor - if it shows up as red then the pattern is correct. If it shows up as green or blue then it is set wrongly.

cheers,

Robin
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

Where do you set debayer preview to on?
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

I have found this now but whether it's on, off or on Force RGGB I still get the same green screen.

What am I doing wrong?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Probably nothing wrong - modern cameras are often more sensitive to green light than other cameras and can produce a green tinted image. Depending on the brand of camera you have, there may be white balance controls on the right hand side that you can adjust to correct this. Alternatively, many people do not try to adjust out the green while capturing, instead they do it when processing the images.

cheers,

Rboin
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

Camera is Altair Astro 26c.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

The (land based) image was captured using an Altair 183C. FITS entries are ROWORDER=TOP-DOWN and BAYERPAT=RGGB. The images show before & after processing. The 'before' (processing) show the green caste and the 'after' (processing) are an accurate representation of the colours I can see. The processing examples used:
  • PixInsight - Process > NoiseReduction > SCNR
  • Siril - Image Processing > Remove Green Noise
  • GIMP - Colors > Curves & select green channel
Dave

PixInsight_before-after.JPG
PixInsight_before-after.JPG (98.19 KiB) Viewed 4886 times

Siril-before-after.JPG
Siril-before-after.JPG (101.73 KiB) Viewed 4886 times

GIMP-remove-green-hue.JPG
GIMP-remove-green-hue.JPG (80.53 KiB) Viewed 4886 times