Sequencer and autofocus

A place to post guides, instructions and HOWTO documents on the use of SharpCap and Astrophotography in general
Forum rules
One tutorial per topic please.
Please only post content that you have created in this form.
Tutorials should be either in PDF format as an attachment or written in the first post of the topic. Links to video tutorials you created are also acceptable.
Ana

Sequencer and autofocus

Post by Ana »

Let's say I would like to perform autofocus every 1h, after filter change and when FWHM is changed for >10%.
Can I plan it in sequencer? How autofocus work in Sharpcap? So far, I use only manual focusing process. Pause livestack, find optimal focus using MoonLite motorized focuser and restart livestack.

Thanks a lot!

Ana
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sequencer and autofocus

Post by admin »

Hi,

best place to start are the SharpCap focusing tools if you haven't used them already - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#(Nearl ... 20Focusing

Once you have made any settings adjustments necessary for that to work properly, you can use the sequencer to kick off a new sequence scan/goto best focus as part of your sequence. For examply you could set up the sequence to live stack for an hour, save stack, turn off live stacking, refocus, restart live stacking, repeat.

cheers,

Robin
Ana

Post by Ana »

Dear Robin,

I will need to play with Sequence Editor.
I basically want to replicate NINA with live stack.

In my opinion, there are three options for imaging:
1. I run everything manually, use live stack for long time and many days for the same target, save stacked frames, process these frames conventional way in Pixinsight. I exclusively use this approach now. Minus of these approach is that I need to be alert for focusing (especially SCT scopes) and see what is going during whole session. It is fine as soon as it does not go over 12-12:30am!

2. Automate everything in NINA and see final results after several days-months-years. This is boring and has a lot minuses like clouds ruining almost whole night and accumulated frames are useless. In live stack, I set brightness level rejection (<80) and cloudy or abstracted frames are rejected outright.

3. Use automation with live stack in Sharpcap. This is I am trying to achieve now.

There is alternative way. Use manual approach in Sharpcap until 12-12:30am (with meridian flip) ands run rest in NINA before 3-6am. All files for future processing are FITS; so, it will do nicely.
Maybe this alternative way is the best. What do you think?

Thanks a lot!

All the best!

Ana
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Ana,

my suggestion would be to slowly build more complex sequences in SharpCap - to begin with just simple stacking, then add refocus, then add other tweaks when you are confident that the previous stage works reliably. Until you have all that you want running under the sequencer then use NINA to manage the captures at times when you are not available to keep an eye on things in SharpCap.

cheers,

Robin
Ana

Post by Ana »

Hi Robin,
OK.
I will work on it.
If I progress well and you add meridian flip to sequencer, then who needs NINA.
Sharpcap will run everything from A to Z. I have looked Sequence Editor. It is complicated, but it definitely can do it.
Thanks a lot!

All the best!

Armen