ROI suggestions

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Kahless

Re: ROI suggestions

Post by Kahless »

That is only possible with Ascom or tracking.
I only have Dobsonian telescopes that can be moved manually.

So the point is that I can only hold the planet in the entire field of view of the camera, but without ROI I have very few fps.
With ROI I have high fps, but manually can't manage to keep the planet in the field of view.

Hence the desire for a ROI that moves with the planet in the entire field of view of the camera.

I don't know if and how it works, but since you can already center the planet within the image, it should also be possible to tell the ROI to move throughout the camera's field of view so that the planet stays in the ROI.
Is that possible?

Mario
bvalente

Post by bvalente »

Given your setup I don't think that is currently possible for you, and I am not sure it would be possible or at least practical to do without a tracking mount. If you're tracking, at least you have some time for the ROI to move around in the sensor. Without tracking, it would fly off the sensor pretty quickly, depending on your magnification
Kahless

Post by Kahless »

That's why I'm asking here if it's possible.

I can manually track the Dobsonian without any problem so that the planet remains in the entire field of view of the camera sensor, that is no problem.
But I always have to operate the camera in full resolution - Sharpcap centers the planet in the image.
But the fps are very low.

Therefore it would be great if you could shoot with a small ROI and the program would move the ROI field with the planet. Of course, this only works as long as the planet is somewhere on the camera chip, but that would be enough.

You would have to tell the ROI, so to speak, to move to the right as the planet gets closer to the right edge of the ROI, or up as it gets closer to the top edge, and so on.

Whether this is feasible I don't know. But it would be great for filming planets with telescopes without tracking like Dpbson telescopes to use a small ROIs with high fps.

Mario
bvalente

Post by bvalente »

Mario you may want to start a new post on this topic to get better attention

Basically you want ROI tracking without connecting to a mount

In the bigger picture, your best solution is to get a tracking mount

Brian
Kahless

Post by Kahless »

Thanks!

Tracking mounts for 20'' and bigger dobsonians are very expensive.
Especially with Ascom and/or guiding and in europe.

Mario
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi folks,

yes, you can do this - try the following...

1) choose a smaller ROI and get the planet in view
2) Choose 'feature tracking (experimental)' from the tools menu
3) Choose 'Use camera ROI' for movement and 'Use center of mass' for tracking.
4) Press 'Monitor' to start tracking the center of the planet, then 'calibrate' then guide.

SharpCap should now track the planet by moving the ROI. However, I just tested this and can't get calibrate to do anything, so maybe there is a bug there - I will check.

cheers,

Robin
Kahless

Post by Kahless »

Hello Robin,
thank you very much!

I have now tried it once with a simulated (very bright) planet during the day in my dark basement and it did not work.
I always get only the "Low contrast warning".

Please have a look at the video, if I would have done everything right.
But I will try it directly on a planet as soon as I have a clear sky.

CS, Mario

https://youtu.be/vJyefC7hrss
bvalente

Post by bvalente »

admin wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:39 pm Hi folks,

yes, you can do this - try the following...

1) choose a smaller ROI and get the planet in view
2) Choose 'feature tracking (experimental)' from the tools menu
3) Choose 'Use camera ROI' for movement and 'Use center of mass' for tracking.
4) Press 'Monitor' to start tracking the center of the planet, then 'calibrate' then guide.

SharpCap should now track the planet by moving the ROI. However, I just tested this and can't get calibrate to do anything, so maybe there is a bug there - I will check.

cheers,

Robin

Robin in my experience when i've attempted this, it does not work unless the mount is first connected. If you can remove that requirement, that would be great!
bvalente

Post by bvalente »

Hi Robin

Back to managing ROIs, when choosing "custom" is it possible to at least set the dimensions in the dialog box to the current ROI? It would make editing it a lot easier

thanks for considering!

Brian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Brian,

if you choose the option to use the camera ROI to make adjustments then there is no need to have the mount connected. Of course this will run out of ROI offset ability at some point, but is much simpler and does not require calibration (you need to press the calibrate button, but it does nothing except enable 'guide'). Note that there was a bug with this option, fixed in today's update.

cheers,

Robin