ROI suggestions

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
bvalente

ROI suggestions

Post by bvalente »

HI Robin

Couple of usability suggestions (or maybe questions, I haven't found any answers) for managing ROI

1. Is it possible to use arrow keys as keyboard equivalents for adjusting ROI pan/tilt? same as press the arrow buttons on the UI, just easier to do from a keyboard

2. Can custom ROIs be saved and chosen from ROI preset drop-down list? or more generally, can the ROI presets be managed so I can add/edit/remove my own presets?

thanks a million - really love sharpcap 4

Brian
admin
Site Admin

Re: ROI suggestions

Post by admin »

Hi Brian,

there is currently no support for keyboard shortcuts to move the ROI, but it seems like it should be possible to add in a future update.

Right now, the only way to save/restore those settings is to use the 'Capture Profile' functionality built into SharpCap, but that saves and restores *all* settings for the camera, rather than just the ones you are interested in. There is one possible workaround - once you have saved a capture profile, you can open it in a text editor and remove all the controls that you do not want to restore from the file (exposure, gain, etc). Then when you load that edited profile in future, SharpCap will only find the values you have left in it (pan, tilt, resolution), so it will set those and leave other values untouched.

Hope this helps,

Robin
bvalente

Post by bvalente »

Thanks Robin

Being to save at least the last custom ROI size would be a nice addition, but appreciate the rest of the response

Brian
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

+1 for panning the ROI around with arrow keys

+1 for saving custom ROIs

And I'll add one:

Please add the ability to set the ROI with a selection box on the current image. SharpCap would ask you if you you're sure you like the selection and want to switch the ROI, and then would use the nearest allowable values.
bvalente

Post by bvalente »

"Please add the ability to set the ROI with a selection box on the current image. SharpCap would ask you if you you're sure you like the selection and want to switch the ROI, and then would use the nearest allowable values."

+1 oh yes, that would be nice. Similar feature to Firecapture, and is very easy to use

Can I use the "F" word here? :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, that F word is allowed ;)

Thanks for the suggestions !

Robin
Kahless

Post by Kahless »

Hi!

It would be even better if the ROI could automatically move with a planet in the entire field of the camera.
It is very difficult, especially with a Dobsonian telescope, to keep a planet within the ROI section.

Mario
Last edited by Kahless on Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bvalente

Post by bvalente »

Kahless wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:54 pm Hi!

It would be even better if the ROI could automatically move with a planet in the entire field of the camera.

Mario
You can already do both of these now
Kahless

Post by Kahless »

bvalente wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:56 pm You can already do both of these now
How?

How can I set the ROI to move with the planet on my Dobsonian?
It is otherwise hardly possible to hold a planet in a small ROI on a Dobsonian telescope.

Mario
bvalente

Post by bvalente »

I’m not in front of the computer but it’s under experimental tools. Something like track by features. You can track by roi only but you have to have an ascom connection to your mount to use it.