1st Time System Freeze w/Win 10 Laptop

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
MarMax

1st Time System Freeze w/Win 10 Laptop

Post by MarMax »

I had my first system freeze ever last night. The screen just kept displaying SharpCap with the other background apps, and otherwise completely unresponsive.

I've been running this laptop for about a year now with Windows 10:
HP Pavilion 15 Laptop, Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7, 16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB), Intel® Iris® X? Graphics and 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

Software:
SharpCap 4.0.9208.0 (64-bit) w/ASTAP plate solving; ASCOM; CPWI; Stellarium; PHD2 and a Pegasus Power Box Micro.

I've been running exactly the same software for a couple of months with the only change being the SharpCap updates as they become available. I was running the CPC 1100 via a USB bus (single USB connection to the laptop) with an ASI533MC-Pro main camera and an ASI290MM guide camera via PHD2. This is also the same way I've been running this mount for the past 2 months.

In the later part of my EAA session last night I was in the middle of a live stack of M110 when everything froze. I had been running for a good three hours before the freeze and was not doing anything different. Live stacking with dark and flat applied and gradient reduction.

Would there be something in the SharpCap log that may indicate what happened? I think if SharpCap had crashed I would have gotten a bug report.
admin
Site Admin

Re: 1st Time System Freeze w/Win 10 Laptop

Post by admin »

Hi,

it's certainly worth checking the end of the log file from the session that you were running, although if the system really did freeze solid it might have prevented anything useful from being written to the log.

You can also try using Windows event viewer and look in the 'Windows Logs\System' log to see if anything was recorded at the time of the freeze. Again even if something going wrong was detected by the system, it's possible it was not able to log it, in which case the next things in the windows log will be the start of the reboot after you reset the laptop.

Unfortunately freezes are the worst to try to track down - if you had had a blue screen of death there would be a crash dump file on the hard disk that would most likely be analyzable to give the cause.

cheers,

Robin
MarMax

Post by MarMax »

The end of the log file is this line:

Info 00:10:30.986786 #49 Gradient background subtraction calculated as 2499.1254767037 + 0.0403925494724048X + -0.000509075082982132Y to target level of 327.68 in void SharpCap.ImageProcessing.FrameProcessing.FrameBackgroundFinding.SubtractBackground()

So the system just froze before any logging could be done. Hopefully this is a random one-time thing.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, that log file is just SharpCap recording what background gradient it discovered in the most recent frame. The next thing SharpCap would do would be to actually subtract out the background - that certainly shouldn't cause a whole system crash.

In general, if Windows itself locks up or blue screen crashes then the problem is a bug in a driver or a hardware issue - a normal program like SharpCap should not be able to bring down Windows (except of course by controlling a camera to do something which might then reveal the a camera driver bug...)

cheers,

Robin