Switching to 100%, the view is off center with one camera (not the other)

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Borodog

Switching to 100%, the view is off center with one camera (not the other)

Post by Borodog »

When I use my ASI183MC and I switch from Auto to 100% for focusing, the window is centered on the image. But when I do the same with the ASI533MC, it is not, forcing me to use the sliders to return the window to the center each time, which is kind of annoying. Is it possible to fix that?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Switching to 100%, the view is off center with one camera (not the other)

Post by admin »

Hi,

OK, I think that may be fixable - SharpCap tries to keep the point in the center of the view stationary when changing zoom, for a rectangular sensor like the 183, when you have set 'Auto' zoom the point in the center of the view is roughly the center of the sensor. For a square sensor it's to the right of the sensor center. Anyway, when the zoom is set so the whole image is in view I can use the center of the image rather than the center of the display area as the point to keep still.

cheers,

Robin
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

Thank you!
Chuckwagon

Post by Chuckwagon »

I am having the same issue with a 2600MC pro. When I switch from Auto to 100% it shifts the image horizontally all the way to the right, but keeps the vertical centered. I don't remember when this started, it was a few releases back. I've just ignored it and re-centered with the slider. But when I saw this post I thought I may as well chime in. :)

Charles
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the way it *should* work is like this...

If you zoom using the mouse wheel then the point under the mouse should remain unchanged as long as the image is already filling the available area - if it is not filling the available area then it will change as the top-left of the image is pinned to the top left of the available area

If you zoom by changing the dropdown then the center point of the current view should remain in the same position once the zoom has changed, again under the provision that this only applies if the image already fills the available area. With the change made for this issue, the center point is the center of the visible image, not the center of the image display area.

cheers,

Robin
Chuckwagon

Post by Chuckwagon »

Sounds good. I'll look at it again when I update to the next release.

Just to clarify; when I zoom using the dropdown, whatever was centered in the view will remain centered. So, for example, if I have the zoom set to "Auto" and the crosshair on and I have Vega centered in the crosshair, switching to 100% via the dropdown should zoom in with Vega centered in the view. Or, if Vega wasn't centered in the "Auto" zoom view, but I had set the zoom to 50% and then centered Vega via the sliders, then when I set zoom to 100% Vega will still be centered after the zoom. Is that the correct expectation of how the zoom will work?

Also, for me, using the mouse wheel moves the vertical slider. When I have the Zoom set to "Auto", the mouse wheel does nothing, but if I use the dropdown to set it to a zoom %, then the wheel moves the vertical slider. Is it supposed to zoom in and out instead? There may be another way to set the zoom level, but I have always used the dropdown.

Thanks,
Charles

Oops, wait, I just re-read your post and I think I had it backwards. If I read correctly, you are saying that the center of the image will always be the center of the zoom. So if I had Vega in the center of my image, and I zoom in and move the sliders to look at some other part of the image, zooming in via the dropdown will re-center on Vega at the center of the image, not the center of the view I was on. Right?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Charles,

sorry, I missed the important part with the mouse wheel - use CTRL and the wheel to zoom (this is fairly standard for zooming in many Windows applications from Microsoft Word to web browsers to Photoshop etc). As you noted, just the wheel scrolls vertically. You can use the wheel + SHIFT to scroll horizontally (this is non-standard).

The crosshair position should stay the same relative to the image when you change zoom under *all* circumstances - they should zoom together.

cheers,

Robin
Chuckwagon

Post by Chuckwagon »

Thanks Robin. I had figured out that using shift-wheel would scroll horizontal. I just hadn't tried to see what control-wheel did, and since I only ever used the zoom dropdown it didn't occur to me to try it. :)

I have downloaded the latest update and the dropdown zoom now works without shifting to the right.

The zoom behavior seems to be as follows; when on "Auto" the full image is displayed and is the "view" in the window. When I zoom, once the zoom level is high enough to fill the display window the "view" is a portion of the full image and the vertical and horizontal sliders appear. If I use the dropdown to zoom, the center of the "view" remains the center of the new "view." So if I zoom in and center on a star that is not in the center of the image, that star stays centered as I zoom in and out, at least until I zoom out far enough that the changing "view" makes it so the star can't be the center anymore and is offset. If I use the mouse wheel to zoom, the view shifts its field based on where my mouse is located in the display. So if a star is off to the left of the image, and I want to zoom in on it, I can place my mouse to the left and as I wheel in it will zoom and move the view in the direction of the star. So the center of the view changes with the mouse position while zooming with the mouse.

So, I think zoom is now working as intended and makes sense.

As always, SharpCap is awesome and you're a rock star Robin. All the work you put in and your fast responses to issues and questions is greatly appreciated.

Charles