Binning on 294 mono

Johnris

Binning on 294 mono

Post by Johnris »

Hi,
I’m a bit confused about the proper settings asi 294 mm as it has an unlocked high resolution mode. If I enter the standard 4144 by2822 in camera resolution bin 1 it shows I’m only using half the sensor. Is this true or just the way it’s presented? Thanks john
Johnris

Re: Binning on 294 mono

Post by Johnris »

I should have been more specific, in the standard mode is the fov reduced as the roi shows?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Binning on 294 mono

Post by admin »

Hi,

the way SharpCap shows the choice between high resolution and normal mode is via the 'Read Mode' setting, not via binning, so you can choose 11 Megapixel (normal) or 47 Megapixl (high res) for the read mode. If you are in 47 megapixel and choose 4144x2822 then you will be running an ROI on the full 8288x5000ish resolution.

This is done because SharpCap needs to understand that there is a difference between the sensor characteristics (read noise) in the two modes that is more significant than just the effects of binning - SharpCap is set up to expect different sensor data for different read modes, but not for different binning levels.

Note that the binning levels you can achieve are limited to 1x and 3x in high res mode and 1x and 2x in normal mode - this is because behind the scenes, ZWO have mixed the high res/normal switch up with the binning setting and SharpCap has to work with that.

cheers,

Robin