Orion Starshoot G21 (IMX269) Question

MarMax

Orion Starshoot G21 (IMX269) Question

Post by MarMax »

It seems like SharpCap and Altair are well integrated so that the Altair 269C Pro runs directly with full features. The Orion Starshoot G21 is the same IMX269 sensor but I don't know if it runs directly (via SDK) or needs to run via ASCOM with SharpCap 4.0 Pro? If the Starshoot only runs via ASCOM does this limit its functionality?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Orion Starshoot G21 (IMX269) Question

Post by admin »

Hi,

the Orion cameras will only work via the ASCOM driver or (if available) a DirectShow driver - there is no direct SDK control like there is for Altair cameras.

ASCOM is usually fine for deep sky/EAA imaging - the frame rates are low, but that doesn't matter for exposures of a few seconds or more. Some settings are hidden in the ASCOM camera properties window, but again you don't need to change those often.

DirectShow is adequate for lunar/solar/planetary, although you do miss out on saving in RAW format and being able to do fine control of the exposure (DirectShow exposure has steps of 1/2s, 1/4s, 1/8s, 1/16s, etc).

cheers,

Robin
MarMax

Post by MarMax »

Thank you Robin. Your responsiveness and informative responses are much appreciated.

I much prefer cameras with direct SDK controls in SharpCap.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I quite agree, unfortunately it's now becoming impossible to keep up with all the different new brands. I'm sure that you are aware that a lot of the new brands are not really being designed by the company who sells them - they are just being made with appropriate branding by the Chinese manufacturers. Nothing wrong with that in principle, but they all have slightly different SDKs, so they are not compatible with each other from SharpCap's point of view. Thank goodness for ASCOM and Directshow!

cheers,

Robin