What's new in SharpCap this week... 11th July 2022

All the latest news about new features and improvements to SharpCap
admin
Site Admin

What's new in SharpCap this week... 11th July 2022

Post by admin »

Hi folks,

well, last week's update was a bit dull, with only a selection of bug fixes, so I didn't feel the need to write anything up about it. This week there's a much more of interest though :)

Multi-Reticule Tool / Collimation

Firstly, the biggest thing this week is a new 'Multi reticule' tool. This is currently flagged as a beta feature, which means that you can use it, but it will deactivate once the version of SharpCap being used is more than 60 days old (that is, about 9th September for the 4.0.9152 update from today). That doesn't mean the feature will go away on that date, just that you will need to update to a newer version of SharpCap to keep using it.

The main idea behind this tool is that it can be used for collimation of a Newtonian telescope using a camer (plus lens) inserted into the drawtube - see this thread for more information on how this should work : viewtopic.php?p=30658#p30658

Solar image Colourization

This is a little fun tool added to the display effects (FX) dropdown in the toolbar. When activated (which requires a mono image, 8 bit), SharpCap will apply an orange solar colourization to the view on screen (but not to any saved images). The colourization is applied in a way that is similar to the technique described here - https://www.photographingspace.com/colo ... ar-images/ - although the exact curves do not quite match those suggested by John O'Neal.

Updated SVBony SDK

Update to version 1.8.1 - I'm told this has fixes and improvements for the SV405CC camera.

Fix for starting PHD2 guiding from SharpCap

Recent versions of SharpCap were sending a slightly incorrect command to PHD2 when requesting guiding to start, which caused an error. This is now resolved.

In addition, there were the usual range of small tweaks to improve usability and bug fixes.

cheers,

Robin
stbkaiser

Re: What's new in SharpCap this week... 11th July 2022

Post by stbkaiser »

Hi robin
Nice idea to add colorization to the solar image.
Will give that a try over next few days and see if I can impress the wife and family.
Will definitely get a chance to test it with the weather we are having in Dallas tx.
We are having a streak of 38.8 + deg C weather so way too much sunshine.
But this will inspire me to get outside, at least for a little while.
Thanks for the great software and updates.
Take care
Steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,

ouch - that sounds far too hot. It's hot here too at the moment, but only 'English' hot, which means we have a peak temperature forecast of 35-37 on Monday. Just hoping that the weather breaks soon after that and we get some (much needed) rain.

Good luck with the solar imaging - feedback welcome.

cheers,

Robin
mikenoname

Post by mikenoname »

admin wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:49 pm
Fix for starting PHD2 guiding from SharpCap

Recent versions of SharpCap were sending a slightly incorrect command to PHD2 when requesting guiding to start, which caused an error. This is now resolved.
:)

And I can confirm that the PHD issues have disappeared.

Thanks Robin!

38C? Meh. If it drops below 40C here before midnight it's a cool day. Astronomy in the summer desert is an acquired taste.