Stacked image has grid like pattern

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Cey42

Stacked image has grid like pattern

Post by Cey42 »

I was running 4.0.8949 and decided to upgrade to 4.0.9132.

Camera is ZWO 294MM. The images below were reproduced using Folder Monitor feature. Near a full moon causing gradient.

When I got to my first target and started stacking I noticed a grid like pattern (more obvious when you run this in SharpCap). See image below.
9132.jpg
9132.jpg (521.04 KiB) Viewed 632 times
I thought I had made an error in the flat capture, so I redid the flat but I continued to see the issue.

I then downgraded to 4.08.8949, used the same flat and got the below. No change in histogram. Which looks much smoother.
8949.jpg
8949.jpg (374.5 KiB) Viewed 632 times
You can get fits, flat and dark files here, https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmzOfpCoABCRgdVK0-S ... g?e=PGTlIY

Thanks,
Cey
admin
Site Admin

Re: Stacked image has grid like pattern

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the report - I have had a dig into it and the good news is that it is not an issue with the images themselves or with the flat/dark correction process, it's just a display issue to do with the way the image is scaled when the scale factor is less than 100%. In fact you can see the grid without dark/flat/live stacking, it's just less distinct because you can't stretch the image as much without correcting the vignetting.

The newer version of SharpCap is using a different technology to display the image and the scaling options work a bit different.

Right now I am using a 'nearest neighbour' option to give the blocky zoomed in pixel look when the zoom is >200% and a 'linear' blending option for zooms below 200%. If I change from 'linear' to 'high quality' then all the grid effects vanish, but I am worried about the impact of that for high speed imaging work (high fps). I will have to try to arrange the code so that 'high quality' can be used for longer exposures and the simpler approach can be used for high speed imaging.

Anyway, if you look at the saved images you should not see the grid (or if you do, it indicates that your viewing application is suffering from the same thing).

cheers,

Robin
Cey42

Post by Cey42 »

Thanks for the explanation. I have played with .9132 and did see he blockiness go away at 100%. Seems worse between 25-33%. At least now I know how to work around it.

Hopefully you can figure out how to use the old algo again.

Thanks,
Cey
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I've made the code switch over between 'fast' and 'good' automatically at about 4fps (faster frame rates get 'fast', slower gets 'good'). I think that the effect is actually coming from a very faint grid shaped brightness pattern in the pixel data from the sensor which is normally invisible, but a combination of strong image stretching and certain zoom levels make it noticeable.

cheers,

Robin
Cey42

Post by Cey42 »

Thanks for 'fixing' this. Look forward to testing it out.

Cey
Cey42

Post by Cey42 »

Fix looks great.

Thanks,
Cey