Sharpcap wuth DSLR?

Using SharpCap for other Astro Imaging such as all sky cameras and meteor detection
woldsweather

Sharpcap wuth DSLR?

Post by woldsweather »

Does Sharpcap work with a DSLR?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharpcap wuth DSLR?

Post by admin »

Hi,

maybe...

perhaps not a perfect answer, but an accurate one :)

SharpCap does not have code to talk directly to any DSLR cameras, so on its own, it will not work with any. However there are ASCOM drivers that have been written by others that can control DSLR cameras and SharpCap will work with those. The only problem is that the reliability of those ASCOM drivers is not always perfect, and not something I can guarantee. Some people find it works fairly well, others struggle to get it to work reliably or at all.

The best resource if you want to try it is to read through this thread on Cloudy Nights : https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7076 ... ntax-sony/

cheers,

Robin
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

OK thanks Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

worldsweather

By following the article & download in the CN link above, I managed to get a Canon 7D Mk2 running with the ASCOM DSLR driver under SharpCap 4.

Canon7D-Mk2-SharpCap.JPG
Canon7D-Mk2-SharpCap.JPG (95.33 KiB) Viewed 10479 times

This was captured over a year ago (needs a re-process I think).

M42_30x60s_4x30s_4x10s_8x4s_8x2s_ISO1600-reduced.jpg
M42_30x60s_4x30s_4x10s_8x4s_8x2s_ISO1600-reduced.jpg (814.79 KiB) Viewed 10479 times

For daylight testing (very short exposures) I use the Mode Dial set to 'M' (=manual), for astro work (longer exposures) I set the Mode Dial to 'B' (=bulb).

Dave
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

Great thanks. I'll give that a go over the next 2 weeks when I'm inside cowering from the heat.
caenis

Post by caenis »

Hi,
I'm trying to use Sharpcap to polar align using my Sony a7iii mirrorless camera. This is my main imaging camera, I don't have a guidescope or guide camera. I've loaded the correct ASCOM drivers which are compatible with Sharpcap but all get is the message attached. I can refine my polar alignment using the Skywatcher handset with my Skwatcher AZEQ6 pro, but was hoping that Sharpcap would be an easier tool.

Any ideas on why I'm getting this problem guys?
Attachments
SC issue with sony A7iii.jpg
SC issue with sony A7iii.jpg (10.36 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the error is coming from the ASCOM driver, which is complaining that SharpCap is asking about the size of the image apparently before connecting the the camera. The thing is that SharpCap does connect to the camera before asking those details, so I suspect that the ASCOM driver is dropping the connection to the camera soon after making it (or is not making the connection properly in the first place).

Feel free to post your SharpCap log captured after seeing the issue here so that I can check for any other clues and confirm if the above is correct, but I suspect that you will be best seeing if the authors/creators of the ASCOM driver have any advice/hints.

cheers,

Robin
caenis

Re: Sharpcap with DSLR?

Post by caenis »

thanks Robin