Sensor Analysis Results

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
bluesilver

Sensor Analysis Results

Post by bluesilver »

Hi, Sorry for picking your brains again on this topic.
I did a Sensor Analysis run today on my camera ( asi2600mc )
Camera connected to telescope ( Skywatcher Esprit 150) set to -10c

I made a bit of a mess of things the first few attempts at it.
This is my latest attempt to try and get things working correctly,

I have a screen shot below of the final result.
I also included one at the very start, except the thick part of that black line was a bit further up the line than it is shown here, ( i forgot to take a screen shot at the start, so took one at the end when it was all finished), (i clicked restart, jut to get the screen shot of it )

The numbers just don't seam right to me though, unless i am miss understanding them.
I thought that the e/ADU reading when 1 was about what you want for a setting for flats, But as you can see, mine don't even get to 1
When i set up for flats, i usually aim for around 30000ADU
Typically with this camera, you either image at gain 0 or gain 100 and nothing else really.
So not sure if i am miss reading this read out or not

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter.
Attachments
Start.jpg
Start.jpg (223.21 KiB) Viewed 398 times
Finnish9.jpg
Finnish9.jpg (306.48 KiB) Viewed 398 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sensor Analysis Results

Post by admin »

Hi,

those values look pretty much ok for that camera - if you compare them to the ones shown on the ZWO page (https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/pr ... -pro-color) you can see that they agree fairly well.

Lots of cameras these days do not have a 'unity gain' setting, this model is one of them. This is just a result of using analogue to digital converters in the sensor that have a 16 bit range (65536 levels) in a camera that has a full well depth of less than 65536 electrons. There is anyway no real magical advantage in using unity gain over other gain values. If you expose your flat for about 60% saturation, you will be capturing 30000 electrons in every pixel, so the random noise due to fluctuations in that number will be about 170 electrons - as you can see in that context it doesn't matter much whether 1ADU =1e or 0.9e or 1.2e if your noise is 170 electrons anyway!

cheers,

Robin
bluesilver

Re: Sensor Analysis Results

Post by bluesilver »

Hi Robin,
Thanks for the reply,
Good to know everything is as it should be then.
The initial start up procedure had me confused there for a bit, finding the red box was my main issue.
It was kind of hidden right up in the top left hand corner as a tiny red arrow, once you find this and figure out that this is what you need to make a little red box out of you are pretty much ok form there on.
Your advice has been greatly appreciated with this.
Cheers.
Peter.