Memory error

JALabrecque

Memory error

Post by JALabrecque »

Last night ended with an "out of memory" error. I had taken a series of pics with my ASI294 mostly stacks of 3 minutes. Is there a way to clear out the memory cache to allow the session to continue?
My computer locked up and once I got it running again would not find the camera - not sure if it is related.
What system requirements would you recommend to optimize performance?

John L.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Memory error

Post by admin »

Hi John,

please try using the 64 bit version of SharpCap if you are not already - it is much more resilient to out-of-memory problems. The problem is usually not so much that memory runs out, it's that the free memory gets split up into smaller blocks as some parts get used and then released and others get used and are still in use. Eventually (32 bit version particularly) you end up in a situation that there might be enough total memory available, but a single block cannot be found that is big enough :(

If you are already using the 64-bit version, then let me know more about the options you are using in live stacking - I will try to investigate further.

cheers,

Robin
JALabrecque

Post by JALabrecque »

Robin,

Thanks for the quick response. I have downloaded the 64 version and will try it at the next opportunity.

During last night's session I could not even get a successful dark or flat created - the program would just stop. I reduced the camera resolution from 46 to 11meg. All worked fine from that point on for the rest of the night. I just baffles me that after taking dozens of pics at full res it would now have an issue.

I will let you know how the 64 version does.

John
JALabrecque

Post by JALabrecque »

Robin,

Attempted to use the 64bit version today. Started up the scope and then turned on the laptop. Once GPS was locked I initiated Ioptron Commander. It started normally and recognized the mount. Next I started PHD2 and again it started normally and connected to the mount.

Next I started the 64bit version of SharpCap (latest version). I immediately received Message 1. I continued and set up the parameters for an image capture. It did recognize the camera. When I went to turn on SharpCap scope control I received Message 2 (attached to second message).

Can you give me a layman's translation of what they are saying?

John Labrecque
Attachments
Message 1.jpg
Message 1.jpg (536.03 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
JALabrecque

Post by JALabrecque »

Robin,

Continuation of previous message with Message 2.

John L.
Attachments
Message 2.jpg
Message 2.jpg (482.79 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the message you are seeing may well relate to downgrading the version of the ASCOM driver for the iOptron mount. Basically, each time you install a new version some info goes into the Windows registry. If you uninstall it should come out again, but if it doesn't then you can end up with entries for different versions of the ASCOM driver. If there are entries in the registry that are related to a higher version number than the currently installed version then you get the 'manifest definition does not match' error.

The way out of this is probably going to involve registry editing...

1) Uninstall the iOptron ASCOM driver.

2) From an admin command prompt run the following two commands

Code: Select all

reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F4AA76B1-3928-422A-AA0E-031C560AA382}
reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{F4AA76B1-3928-422A-AA0E-031C560AA382}
These commands clear out the information in the registry that relates to different versions of the iOptron driver, putting things back to clean. Note that I typed in the {F4AA... bit from your screenshot - hopefully I got it all correct!

3) Install the iOptron ASCOM driver again from scratch

Hopefully at this point everything will work again.

cheers,

Robin
JALabrecque

Post by JALabrecque »

Robin,

Thanks again. Between the wife (my IT person), Google and your directions think I have everything updated. Had to update ASCOM also. Going to set up the scope for wide field shots in the next day or so (not that the monsoon nor the moon will allow any pics) and I will fire everything up and see if it all works.
I will let you know.

John Labrecque
JALabrecque

Post by JALabrecque »

Robin,

It appears all is good with my SharpCap again. Followed your directions and no issues with out of memory errors even with full res pictures. Being in the mood to update software/firmware I even updated all my CEM120 firmwares with no issues.

Thanks again for you help and swift responses.

John Labrecque