Is a Plate Solve required ?

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
OregonSky

Is a Plate Solve required ?

Post by OregonSky »

Eaa Newbie here. I have been reading and watching video about Eaa. I have not bought a camera yet. I have only had an ancient first Generation Neximage to play with on Sharpcap. I realize its not even close to usable but I did make it found by Sharpcap and took a couple single exposures of the moon. It gave me a chance to play with Sharpcap and gain some experience with exposure - gain - brightness - etc. The Neximage is not sensitive enough see anything else. I realize that live stack would not produce a usable result but I clicked it just to see what happens. It says cannot plate solve. I have Starsense and thus do have some understanding of Plate Solving.

Wondering something ...
If my Celestron 6se's GoTo is right on and an actual camera was attached so that the object is centered, is a plate solve required or can you just begin to stack ?

I do also have a CPC 11 and my eventual goal in Eaa would be to gain better visual views of fainter galaxies ( 10 - 11 - 12s ) but I realize it would be a tough goal to start with. Just as with Telescopes, no one camera is going to be right for everything but I'm trying to make a wise choice of a first camera that will still have purpose if I learn enough to move to my goal camera.

Thank You
admin
Site Admin

Re: Is a Plate Solve required ?

Post by admin »

Hi,

if you are just using live stacking then I wonder if the message you are seeing is 'Could not align'? Using live stacking doesn't actually make any plate solving happen, but it does try to line up each new frame with the last by detecting the patterns of stars in the images.

The 'Could not align' message is usually caused by SharpCap not being able to reliably detect stars in each image from the camera. This could well be related to the limitations of your NexImage camera. Basically, if you struggle to see stars (at least 10 or so) in the image, then SharpCap will also struggle to detect enough stars for alignment.

Hope this helps,

Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

To add to what Robin Said ...
If your mounts GoTo is right on target and your chosen object is in view, than a plate solve is not needed. Plate solving (and sync) is typically needed to "tell" the mount where it is and/or where to go to.

Menno
OregonSky

Post by OregonSky »

Thank You Both !

admin:
Sorry if my post was mis-understood - I tend to give too many details and I confuse issues.

I was not expecting function with the Ancient Neximage but just clicked the live stack button to " see what happened ". Sharpcap wont function at all until a camera is recognized.
At age 70, new tech stuff is not as easy as it is for some. I had my doubts if I could use EAA / Sharpcap and felt it wise to confirm before starting to chose and buy any equipment.
The nextimage was a gift that a friend gave me just to experiment with. ( Its not a Neximage 5 or 10 button cam - Its a 1 ) I first downloaded 3.2 and it would not install. Thinking it was my Win 7 laptop, I tried 3.1 and my son found an older driver and the neximage showed up.
So many videos and threads are from users that are very experienced Astrophotographers and already have deep understanding of the processes. While they are labeled EAA for beginners many threads and video hurdle some of the truly basic first questions of a 30 year visual only guy.
My whole goal in the Exercise was just to see Sharpcap function and learn enough to know what questions to ask in order to make a wise first camera decision.

menno555:
Thats what I wondered. I see videos that use it regularly and others that just move to an object and begin. Thank you.

-------

If anyone else is facing my same dilemas ... I want to share two links that I found that help to grasp novice basics of EAA.

This one makes some of the terms in the videos, threds, and the Sharpcap Manual that are over your head more understandable.

https://agenaastro.com/articles/agena-b ... ifications

This one, sadly is done from saved images rather than live. But it gives a workflow of whats actually needed to get a Sharpcap start and what to just leave alone until you are ready. Very helpful for attaining the ranges for a first screen view for those with no previous astro camera experience. I was about ready to give up out of confusion when I found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fvm_DjOgaY

Mike in Oregon
A guy that still gets occasionally puzzled by some features of Windows Paint.
mfratto

Post by mfratto »

Mike, I suspect that you weren't able to platesolve because you didn't have enough stars. The error bar across the top of Sharpcap will you tell what the failure was and may offer suggestions. You can also look at the log in Help->Log (I think) and then scroll up for the plate solving error messages.

As for plate solving, I find I almost always need to plate solve. I have a C8 with a CGEM mount that I use a 6.3 reducer and an ASI183 camera. I have a very small field of view. If I am careful doing a 2 star alignment with 3 extra stars and a polar alignment, I can usually get my target into frame, but I plate solve to get it in the center. It's easy once the plate solving software is set up and working. Once you do it, you'll never take a shot without plate solving first. Takes 30 seconds and you're done.

As for seeing faint galaxies, you'll be able to get down to mag 16, easy. I can get them with my C8 in Bortle 6 skies. They are faint fuzzies, for sure, but easily gettable.
OregonSky

Post by OregonSky »

mfratto :

Thanks for the additional details.
I wasnt expecting it to work when I clicked on Live Stack with that Ancient Camera. Its not sensitive enough to see stars.
I have Starsence and a routine that gives VERY accurate GoTos so i really just wondered if Plate Solving was required or optional.

Exciting News - I'm picking up a Camera on Saturday Morning. A Player One Uranus C with an I/R filter. So I will be the reason the holiday weekend will be cloudy ... LOL.
I'm so glad that I had some screen time with Sharpcap and that I found the Video that I shared in my last post.
This One:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fvm_DjOgaY
It really helped. Start simple !!

The person I am buying if from will help me get it installed on my 6se. I have been kinda confused what to use to come up with the proper back focus length. He says he has a box of spacers etc and will help.

I also have a SC8+ from 1988 with old Sky Commander - Wedge - the remote with RA speed control and Dec Motor, It also has a OAG attachment. Always just used the scope visually. Your details of what you were able to view with C8 have me very exited. I think the 6se with the 6.3 Focal Reducer will be the place to start. I know it will likely take a few sessions to see something pleasing but .....

MIKE in OREGON