Save stacked images as seen

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
TessH

Save stacked images as seen

Post by TessH »

Hi.. from what I have read, it looks like the save button must be pushed to save the stacked image after each new one is read in. (I am using the folder monitor camera). My images are not in a regular sequence so the option of saving after an elapsed time does not work. The other options for saving the stack after a new image appear to be on reset or close.
Is there a way to automatically save the stack after each new image without manually pushing the save button?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Save stacked images as seen

Post by admin »

Hi,

normally you would not save after each new image is added to the stack, just at the end when all the images have been added. If you do save after every added frame, then you will get a series of images that gradually improve in quality, with the last one being the highest quality image (due to the noise level gradually reducing as the stack image count increases).

Can I ask why you want to save after every added frame rather than just at the end?

cheers,

Robin
TessH

Post by TessH »

Hi Robin,
Thank you so much for your reply. We show live-stacks with SharpCap on our big screen as a part of our night tours at Badlands Observatory in Quinn, South Dakota using our 26" Newtonian and a Nikon D800. It works great on clear nights, but I am preparing presentations of previous live-stacks to show as simulations for visitors that come on nights that are cloudy or when the moon is too bright.
The live-stacks with increasing quality serve as demonstrations of the power of stacking exposures that range from 5-60 seconds to our guests and prepare them for the later visual stargazing session with our public telescopes as well as introduce them to astrophotography.
Sure, I can stack them in other software for the simulations, but I would greatly prefer to use the images that come from SharpCap if that is an option.
Thank you,
TessH
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Tess,

Ah, brilliant, now it makes sense.

There isn't a button you can click or a box you can tick to do what you want, but... You can sort of come close using the SharpCap sequencer tool, given a few drawbacks.

Set up the sequencer with the steps shown below :
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (174.89 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
Once you have done that, get the folder monitor camera ready, with all your image files selected (and any dark/flat etc).

Run the sequence - the live stacking will start and a 'Press OK to continue' box will appear. While the 'Press OK' box is visible, you can access the folder monitor camera controls - press the Play button there, then quickly press OK. The whole thing will now proceed automatically, stacking in the background and saving a new image every couple of seconds. You probably won't get an image for every single frame, but you will get a good sequence of them. If you want you could try removing the 'wait for 1 second' step to get more saves, or increase the delay if it seems to be saving too often.

Hope this helps,

Robin
TessH

Post by TessH »

Thanks Robin. As we add to our live stacked targets I will press the save button, but the sequencer looks like a good solution for those already imaged.
Clear Skies,
TessH