Problem using Feature Tracking with USBST4

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Thierry Legault 2

Problem using Feature Tracking with USBST4

Post by Thierry Legault 2 »

hello, I'm trying to use a ZWO USBST4 interface to connect my laptop to a Skywatcher mount to keep the Sun centered during long imaging sessions.

The USBST4 is recognized by Sharcap and connected. The Feature Tracking says "Will guide via ZWO USBST4". When I click on the 4 direction buttons in the "Setup" window, the mount moves accordingly at guide speed. Everything looks fine but...

The problem is that the Calibrate button cannot be used. I can just click on Monitor and see the Movement and Accumulated Movement numbers evolve as the Sun drifts, but I never see any chart (as described in the Sharpcap Help) and the calibration is never possible.

Thank you for your help.

I don't know if this is in relation, but everytime I start Sharpcap or I open the Settings window, I get a message "If you are using Sharpcap for general imaging, you should leave this option unchecked. Checking this option will cause your images to be much dimmer than usual etc."
I don't know to which option it is related to! And I never got such message with previous versions of Sharpcap.

Thierry Legault
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem using Feature Tracking with USBST4

Post by admin »

Hi Thierry,

I think the excessive warning is going to be related to the option to save 10/12/14 bit FITS images without scaling to 16 bits. It's only supposed to appear when you check the box, not when you reopen the settings afterwards. I will try to fix that :)

The things that are required to make the calibration available are:

* to have the monitoring running (which you have)
* to also tick the 'Connected' box for the mount driver you are using - I expect you have done this
* to pick a movement speed to the right of the 'Use Mount' option in the tracking setup window.

If none of this helps, please send a screenshot - maybe there is something else that I am not expectig going on.

thanks,

Robin
Thierry Legault 2

Thank you Robin, for the two first conditions it's correct (monitoring activated and Connected ticked), I just have to check the third one (later today)
Thierry Legault 2

Robin, the list besides "use mount" is blank, so I can't pick a movement speed.

In addition, starting Sharpcap I get a message "your mount does not support the MoveAxis command, the movement buttons will not be available".
But the USBST4 is connected and transmits the orders to the mount when I click on the direction buttons!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

ok, I think I understand why the guiding rate is missing - I can fix that issue for the next update.

When you say that you can use the dirction buttons, are you talking about the ones shown in the SharpCap control area or a separate set that show in a different window? The ones in SharpCap should be disabled as far as I can see from the code.

thanks.

Robin
Thierry Legault 2

Thank you Robin, I'm talking about the directions buttons in the small "USBST4 setup" window which appears when I ckick on Properties in the SC Setting window
Thierry Legault 2

In the meantime, I'm wondering why a guiding rate would be necessary. The job of SC is to send correction pulses to the USBST4 interface (after calibration of course), the guiding rate being already adjusted on the mount, not to drive the mount (?)
Last edited by Thierry Legault 2 on Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, it's not so much that SharpCap adjusts the rate, it's that the option to move the mount at the 'Guiding Rate' should show up in the list of movement rates, which would then let you calibrate. Because the list is currently empty with your setup, you are stuck.

cheers,

Robin
Thierry Legault 2

Hi Robin, do you plan to correct the bug in a future version?
Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, I put in what I hope is a fix, which is already in SharpCap 4.0.9063 - hopefully you will now be able to select a movement rate and proceed with the calibration/tracking.

cheers,

Robin