Flats filters

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
jacanogorini

Flats filters

Post by jacanogorini »

Hi again,

This is a double suggestion about flats.The flats are affected by the filters, and we need to take flats for each filter we are going to use, or we used and apply the flat to the current image according the filter that I'm taking this image.
My first suggestion about that is that on the wizard to take the flats, you can ask also the filters you want to take and take the flat automatically for all the filters. I can do that manually but if it was automatic it would be easy. One question about that is that I don't know if I can add the filter to the flat name. I know that is on the FITS header, but also could be good to add it to the name. Maybe this is possible and I don't know yet how to do it.
The second suggestion is that when you save the flat on the preprocessing window, not save only one, but all the flats of all the filters I'm going to use.
And apply the to the current image, the corresponding flat with the same filter.
In summary, not have only one flat on the preprocessing window, but a set of flats for the filters I want to use.

Thank you very much
Joan A. Cano
admin
Site Admin

Re: Flats filters

Post by admin »

Hi,

in normal captures you can make the filter name get put into the filename, but it looks like that does not happen for creation of a master flat - I should really correct that one as a bug...

The rest is interesting, but it raises a question of how much 'magic' like this gets build into the easy to use parts of SharpCap like Capture dark/Capture flat. If you want to do complex imaging runs with multiple filters, the sequencer tool and/or deep sky sequence planner are the intended route to achieve this sort of imaging. Right now I think I am going to continue concentrating on the entry level/simpler imaging techniques for the 'easy to use' parts of SharpCap, leaving the sequencing tools for the advanced imagers.

cheers,

Robin