Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
mikenoname

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Post by mikenoname »

I am running SC Pro 4.0.8990 which is controlling a Celestron AVX via Stellarium & CPWI 2.3.5 (so an older version before the 2.4.x versions started showing up with problems).

When I slew to an object and then click the plate solve and sync button in the Mount Control panel, sometimes it reslews just fine and other times it gives the error message 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'.

If I tap an arrow key on the Mount Control panel and then hit the plate solve button again the error message doesn't happen again.

I have attached the log file from my session last night. If you search for 'Object reference' in that log you will see numerous times where it happened.

Can you determine what is the cause? I'm afraid I can't really tell.

Thank you for such an excellent product!

Mike
Log_2022-06-01T21_14_22-7440.log
(843.15 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Post by admin »

Hi Mike,

the error is coming from inside CPWI, and just being reported by SharpCap. There have been a number of issues with CPWI bugs recently, including an update that was close to unusable (people were going back to the previous version) - see https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/8085 ... -no-worky/ .

I think the best bet would be to try different versions of CPWI to see if you can find one that works reliably - not ideal sadly :(

cheers,

Robin
mikenoname

Post by mikenoname »

Robin,

Thanks for the reply.

I did know about the issues with CPWI versions 2.4.x which is why I still use 2.3.5 which has been a solid performer for quite a while now. It's the version that everyone was running back to when problems erupted with the new versions.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks!

Mike
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Mike,

one odd thing in your log is that it seems that there may be a pattern - you seem to get the error from the sync command every second time you use it. Now, maybe that's just random chance or maybe it is a pattern. If you keep seeing the pattern of work/fail/work/fail then let me know, since it hints that a retry in SharpCap if the first attempt fails might be effective.

cheers,

Robin
mikenoname

Post by mikenoname »

Will do!