Bahtinov Mask Selection Mask Reset?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
dk101

Bahtinov Mask Selection Mask Reset?

Post by dk101 »

I appear to have extended the selection mask on Bahtinov focus tool to the whole screen and i don't appear to be able to reset it back. I now only see chequered windows (whole capture image) with very very faint diffraction patterns underneath. If i click on the screen i get the little grab-hand but dragging it doesn't do anything. History graph works but it would be nice to see the diffraction patter too.

Is there some magic button or something else i can do to make it all work again?

thank you!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Bahtinov Mask Selection Mask Reset?

Post by admin »

Hi,

as long as you are using a recent version of SharpCap then the trick is to double click on the image - that resets the selection area to about half of the area that is currently visible, and you can adjust from there.

cheers,

Robin
dk101

Post by dk101 »

Thanks Robin!

Double-click on the Bahtinov chequered pattern didn't work. However, I switched over to FWHM focus window, double clicked on the selection square (which was small and which increased in size when double-clicked) to test that double click works - i did. Then when i went back to Bahtinov screen and... the selection square was in teh same position as on the FWHM screen, at the same size and definitely not full screen. So problem solved. Albeit by chance :D.

Double clicking on Bahtinov screen with no effect may be a little bug that needs adding to the list?

Thank you for the double-click suggestion! i wasn't aware that it existed and it did in the end fix the problem.

daniel
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Daniel,

ah, in that case I wonder if the selection area was initially turned off in the Bahtinov focus tool (it can be either on or off in that tool), but got turned on when you switched to FWHM as the FWHM tool requires a selection. If it was turned off then you can toggle it on using the button on the toolbar (just to the left of the reticule dropdown)

cheers,

Robin