QHY168C will not restart Live View & other newbie problems.

rockenrock

QHY168C will not restart Live View & other newbie problems.

Post by rockenrock »

Hi Robin,
I am first time user of SharpCap and downloaded 64 bit ver4.0 for use on my XPS15 9570. I will be live stacking DSO's.

1. The QHY168C shows up under Cameras. Live View (usually) works, but if I click it off, then it will not restart showing frames. The QHY168C is still connected and I can change temperature, for example. My QHY5LII guide cam works fine. Live View can turn it on/off/on and it works. But go back to 168C and no live view image will show.

2. Yesterday I switched back and forth between these 2 cameras in live view without problem. I was testing both during the day, and my exposure was about 50ms. Output format was on Auto and the file format was AVI. Today I cannot get AVI showing in the Output Format Pull down menu. Why would it not show for either camera?

3. When I select either camera, I get Error occurred while trying to connect to your IOptron ASCOM driver for Mount Mount. When I get everything set up I will use PHD2 and it connects to the mount via the ASCOM driver. If I start PHD2 before SharpCap I get the same Error.

I have been using MaximDL6 for last several years, PHD2 controlling the mount via ASCOM and the QHY5LII. My plan is to ditch DL6 and use SharpCap (Pro) to live stack.

4. For all above I have first restarted my computer, then mount, powered USB hub, etc several times. Should I start over with 32bit version?

I have been looking for a good tutorial, but cannot find one for first time setup.

Thanks,
Roger
rockenrock

Re: QHY168C will not restart Live View & other newbie problems.

Post by rockenrock »

Hi Robin,
I uninstalled the 64bit SharpCap 4.0 and installed the 32bit 4.0.
My IOptron mount control panel automatically started when I selected the QHY168C in the camera pull down menu! Nice.
Live View gave me the same problem result. It previews frames when I first select the 168C, but if I stop Live View and restart it (or go to QHY5LII camera and back to QHY168C), no preview frames showing. If unselect the 168C, then reselect it, still no preview frames showing.
Anything I can do about this?

My QHY5LII works correctly as it did with the 64bit 4.0.

Thanks,
Roger
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Roger,

the first advice would be to go back to the simplest setup you can (only the 168C camera, direct connection to the computer, no other hardware, no hubs, extension cables, etc). If that works reliably then start adding more complexity (hubs, extra cameras, etc) and see what causes the problem to start showing up. If the camera on its own doesn't work reliably then try turning up the USB traffic control or setting the camera into 'Force still mode' to see if that helps.

cheers,

Robin
rockenrock

Post by rockenrock »

Hi Robin,
Thanks for your advice. I should have thought of this myself. Just my update, no questions for you.

I successfully connected directly from 168C to my laptop and could do the on/off live view.
I then went back to my original setup 168C to hub to laptop with same cables as last time. I ended up adjusting the USB traffic control.
After about an hour switching between live view, cameras, live stacking, etc to learn how to use SharpCap, it would not show frames from the 168C. Adjusting the USB traffic control did not help. So I closed SharpCap and opened it again, and adjusted USB control. It worked as above.
When live view is working, it never dropped any frames.
So I will continue working with SharpCap, my cables, etc. And I have yet to try Still Mode. I kind of feel the problem is USB on my XPS15 computer and have had to turn off C States to get stable USB when doing planetary imaging via Registax. But generally I do not do planetary, or moon.

BTW, I really like the multi star FWHM focus aid.

Roger
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Roger,

good to hear that you are working out where the problem is. Hubs and long cables are so often part of the issue - unfortunately often also necessary to be able to get the wiring to the camera!

cheers,

Robin