connecting pc to mount in sharpcap

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
georgeroush

connecting pc to mount in sharpcap

Post by georgeroush »

My mount is Celestron GEM II mount. I'm having trouble connecting my PC to my mount.
The error message is:
"An error occurred while trying to connect to your Celestron Telescope Driver Mount. This often indicates a problem with the device itself or with its ASCOM driver configuration. The details of the error are: Connect failed, no port defined and no Celestron scope detected."
What do I do?
George
Menno555

Re: connecting pc to mount in sharpcap

Post by Menno555 »

Hi George

I don't know Celestron mounts but in the manual that came with it, there should be a part describing what software from Celestron, drivers and such you must install and how to install.
Next, head over to https://ascom-standards.org and download and install Platform 6.6.
ASCOM is the software that connects the Celestron software to SharpCap.
These are the first 2 steps. Let us know how it went?

Menno
ChrisR Oz

Post by ChrisR Oz »

Hi George,

I run my AVX mount using Celestron’s CPWI program, which also acts like an ASCOM hub for the mount. SharpCap detects the mount via CPWI, similarly for the Celestron Focuser. You must install the ASCOM platform before you install CPWI for this to work.

Cheers, Chris.
Celestron EdgeHD 8, reducer 0.7x, Star Sense, CGX-L mount, Focuser, CPWI; Starlight Xpress AO, OAG and Filter Wheel; ZWO 294MC/294MM Pro and 174MM mini; SharpCap Pro, PHD2, Powermate 2x, Baader Neodymium, Astronomik CLS-CCD, ZWO UV/IR, Duoband filters.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the error you are seeing is basically telling you that the Celestron ASCOM driver has been unable to communicate with your mount.

You should check the connection cabling back to the PC to make sure it is all connected properly. Also use the 'Properties' button in the SharpCap hardware settings or the 'Setup' button in the mount control area to access the configuration for the Celestron ASCOM driver - you may need to configure something there, for example the correct COM port.

cheers,

Robin
georgeroush

Post by georgeroush »

Thanks for your guidance! I've now installed "Celestron Unify" and I'm now able to connect.
Best wishes..
George