Setting other temporary directory

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Menno555

Setting other temporary directory

Post by Menno555 »

Is there a way to let use SharpCap another, user defined temporary directory instead of the system default? Maybe with an start-up argument?
I have a fast dedicated NVMe M2 SSD for my astro stuff and with Siril for instance, I can point it towards where I want the temporary files to be stored and removed.

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Re: Setting other temporary directory

Post by admin »

Hi Menno,

you should be able to create a batch file that sets the TEMP environment variable and then launches SharpCap - I think that should then make SharpCap uses whatever you set into the environment variable.

I am trying to think though what is being written to the TEMP directory that is causing the slowness - the things I can think of is writing PNG/TIF files and also the temp files when capturing a dark/flat, but not much else.

cheers,

Robin
Menno555

Re: Setting other temporary directory

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Robin

I thought that a BAT file would be a system wide alteration for all temp files but it's not. Indeed it works like you suggested.
And don't worry, it's not about slowness. It's just my nerdy brain that wants to keep things organized when possible. And no, I'm not autistic, I've been tested for that ;)

Menno