Reduction of Frame Rate when taking .SER of Moon

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Dave Manning

Reduction of Frame Rate when taking .SER of Moon

Post by Dave Manning »

Hi folks,

When I'm viewing the Moon, currently Full the frame rate displayed at the bottom of the screen is nice and high, over 20fps for example.
As soon as I start to capture video .SER files that frame rate drops right down and alternates between 1.3fps and 1.8fps.
My camera is the ASI 6200MC Pro.
Is this merely due to the large file sizes involved with this camera OR are there settings that I need to adjust?

I look forward to your expert advice.

Regards,
Dave
turfpit

Re: Reduction of Frame Rate when taking .SER of Moon

Post by turfpit »

Dave

It might be worth working through this viewtopic.php?t=2590 to better understand your camera's USB rate capability. It would be useful to provide some settings from an attempted capture by including a camera settings file and maybe a screenshot. All these tests can be done in the house with the camera cap on and the camera connected to the capture PC.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Re: Reduction of Frame Rate when taking .SER of Moon

Post by admin »

Hi Dave,

since the speed is dropping when you start to capture, it sounds like it is the speed of writing the image data to disk/SSD that is the problem. Check that the disk that you are writing to has plenty of space, and that it has been defragmented (hard disk) or optimised (SSD) recently. You can also use the disk speed test in the filename settings (see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Speed%20Test) to test the write performance of your system.

cheers,

Robin