Photo Rotation in Folder Monitor

pcstair

Photo Rotation in Folder Monitor

Post by pcstair »

I am using SharpCap with a Panasonic DC-ZS200 long zoom point and shoot via the Folder Monitor feature. They seem to work together better than I would have expected. Today I noticed that no matter what the orientation of the camera, horizontal or vertical, the images stored in the PC folder appear with the same vertical orientation. That means when the camera is rotated, the image that appears in Windows Explorer, Windows Photos, Lightroom, etc. is not rotated. However, the images that appear in SharpCap rotate with the camera. My question is how does this work? Is there some parameter in the details of the saved jpg image file that tells SharpCap about the camera rotation? Alternatively, does Windows impose a rotation on the image that ignores the camera orientation?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Photo Rotation in Folder Monitor

Post by admin »

Hi,

most image rotation is done, as you suspect, with a flag in the file that says 'rotate 90 degrees' along with an unrotated image. It sounds as though the library that I use to load JPG files is respecting this flag, while many other bits of windows are ignoring it. This was not really a feature that I designed into SharpCap, more something that came about by good chance.

cheers,

Robin