Intro Sharpcap video wanted

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Moonstruck

Intro Sharpcap video wanted

Post by Moonstruck »

Since I am very new to using sharpcap (for deep sky imaging anyway), is there an introductory video somewhere I can watch, that can walk me through the basic steps of setting up and capturing an image? For example, do I set the gain first then adjust the exposure, or the other way around? Also I'm not sure how to interpret the histogram, how it is used/adjusted, etc. I am asking because last night I was fighting with the gain and exposure constantly to get my images to appear correctly, and I didn't really know what I was doing... they kept appearing and disappearing with my adjustments, and I would struggle getting them to appear and stay on the screen. I know there is a sharpcap user manual, but it would be good if I could find a basic, intro (newbee) Sharpcap video on things like setting gain and exposure, what to do if your image disappears, how the histogram works and how to make basic adjustments to it. If there is something like this I'd be really interested in watching it!
turfpit

Re: Intro Sharpcap video wanted

Post by turfpit »

Histogram info here https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#The%20Histogram in the manual.

Try this for deep sky workflow viewtopic.php?t=2552

You don't say if you are trying lunar, planetary or deep sky imaging. If I know this, I can point to other posts of mine which have info on histograms and settings.

What camera are you using?

Dave
Moonstruck

Post by Moonstruck »

Thanks Dave. I am using a ZWO asi 294 MC color camera for deep sky imaging. I am very new to deep sky astrophotography, having just tried it last night for the first time! I was somewhat frustrated in that I did not know what to adjust first, the effect one adjustment had on the other, details on how to use the histogram, etc ... I just took a stab at it and wound up frustrated... I should have done a little homework first!

I have used Sharpcap before for lunar and planetary videos (with an un-cooled ZWO asi 224 camera), and it was a lot easier, and they came out great. Deep sky seems a lot more involved though.

I have seen a lot of intro videos on a variety of astronomy subjects, and some are better than others. If you know of a good intro video for using Sharpcap, where can I find it? Written material is good but actually seeing someone make/change the settings would be great, if there is something like that out there.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

If its any comfort to you, when I started out back in late 2016 it took me 3 nights to get Saturn in the field of view of my Solar System Imager!

The document I linked to is all I do for deep sky imaging. I take single test frames and look at the histogram using FITS Liberator. Important things to get right are:
  • polar alignment
  • mount alignment
  • focusing
Avoid introducing guiding early on (my opinion) as it adds complexity you don't need.

Looking at the camera specs on ZWO's website it looks like a gain of 120 might be a good starting point. I don't have the camera so perhaps someone could verify this.

You need to sort out some decent processing software. I started out with Deep Sky Stacker and GIMP. With these tools I became adept at mangling images! I moved onto Astro Pixel Processor, with which I managed to progress with my processing. It is well supported with videos for learning and can be tried via a trial license.

You need to make sure that in SharpCaps's File > Settings > Save tab that you have made the correct setting for the post processing software you are using. This will resolve any issues with correct Debayering.

For deep sky capture RAW16 in FITS format. That will give the ability to analyse single frames and see what is going well or badly.

Some currently available objects are M81/M82, M101, M51 and the Leo Triplet (which should frame well in your camera).

These are some examples of mine showing what can be achieved using 60s exposures. M27 and M31 were captured with an Altair 183C, Leo with an Atik 314E. These were all unguided sessions.

M27_80x60s.JPG
M27_80x60s.JPG (217.07 KiB) Viewed 795 times

M31_100x60s.JPG
M31_100x60s.JPG (132.08 KiB) Viewed 795 times

Leo-Triplet_60x60s.JPG
Leo-Triplet_60x60s.JPG (135.97 KiB) Viewed 795 times

M27 & Leo Triplet (part of an unfinished project) were processed with Astro Pixel Processor, M31 with PixInsight where I am 13 days into the trial license.

To get images like these using multiple 1 minute exposures you will need to have paid attention to the items I listed above. Don't expect to get there in 1 step.

I have documented my struggles with M42 here viewtopic.php?t=596

Good luck.

Dave