Ursa Minor Dwarf galaxy

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Menno555

Ursa Minor Dwarf galaxy

Post by Menno555 »

I think I'm an astro-masochist: somehow objects that are really illusive (especially in my Bortle 6/7 location) are very attractive to me.
This so far is the most illusive: the Ursa Minor Dwarf galaxy (UGC 9749, PGC 54074). In the full version here https://i.ibb.co/8Dxtn4W/ursa-minor-dwarf.jpg it's shown as a bit more dense with stars in the centre.
Not a spectacular capture, yet for me it is :D

Due to the virtually absent surface brightness, this galaxy was only discovered in 1955 during the Palomar Sky Survey. It is a satellite galaxy of our Milky Way and is located about 215,000 light-years away.
It was explored with the Hubble in 1999 and the galaxy is around the same age as the Milky Way. It originated in the typical way of this type of system where the star formation of all stars took place at the same time. This happened about 14 billion years ago and lasted about 2 billion years.
Since there has been virtually no active star formation since then, there is also no gas and dust present, which explains the virtually absent surface brightness.

A total of 5 hours of data and more data is not really useful. The Bortle 6/7 is making that kinda impossible. I have tried recordings of 600 sec, but that only works with narrowband recordings.

Noise reduction was useless since the the tiny stars also disappeared and they give that little bit of shape to what is there.
However, the colors have been strengthened as an extra indication and for the rest I had to stretch quite a bit.
But it is visible (kind of) so mission accomplished :)
Also, it is more visible on monitors than on mobile devices.

Over at astroforum.nl there was some discussion how to "proof" that I captured it and not stars of the Milkyway, that it wasn't a kind of wishful thinking.
Someone took my capture and made a "heatmap" of it and that shows indeed the exact place of the most dense part of the galaxy.
Surface_Plot_of_ursa-minor-dwarf_FFcor_1pxMedian_Max_Mean_dens.jpg
Surface_Plot_of_ursa-minor-dwarf_FFcor_1pxMedian_Max_Mean_dens.jpg (270.72 KiB) Viewed 976 times

It is consistent with my own in indication I made.
ursa-minor-dwarf-outline-sm.jpg
ursa-minor-dwarf-outline-sm.jpg (99.17 KiB) Viewed 976 times

And this is the full capture. Most of the bright(er) stars are part of the Milkyway. The stars of the UMi Dwarf here in my capture are ranging between MAG 17 and MAG 21. For a bit bigger version, see the link at the start of this topic.

Bortle 6/7
Meade LX200 8" f/10 ACF OTA
Ioptron CEM25EC mount (no guiding)
Baader Neydymium Skyglow filter
Zwo ASI071MC Pro camera

Captured with SharpCap Pro @ -10 Celsius / White balance R50 B50
60 x 300sec / Gain 90 / Offset 4
20 x darks, 50 x flats and 50 x dark flats

Stacked with DeepSkyStacker

Edited with Siril and Photoshop
Siril: Background Extraction and Histogram
Photoshop: Curves, Levels, Camera Raw Filter (blacks, color saturation, clarity, sharpening)
oopfan

Re: Ursa Minor Dwarf galaxy

Post by oopfan »

Good work, Menno. I definitely see an elliptical mass of very faint stars.
Brian
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Nice photo here:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... tiello.jpg
but no metadata on the scope and/or integration time.

Have you tried adjusting your Black Level in post-processing? Make space a shade of gray instead of black.

Brian
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Thanks Brian!
That photograph I did see but details are indeed missing. The photographer is an amateur/semi-professional: he even discovered a dwarf galaxy that was named after him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donatiello_I :)
And yes, the background is dark on purpose. I did find that there was too much noise and color "blobs" due to the stretching and not being able to use noise reduction. Keeping it a shade of gray wasn't really an option, the small, faint stars "disappeared". Light pollution is to blame here I guess.

Menno
timh

Post by timh »

Hi Menno,

well I can't say that I am surprised that it went undetected for so long! The link that Brian posted made it look rather like a very faint loose miss- shaped globular- even down to what looked like blue stragglers? Interesting post - thanks. Don't think that I'll chase this one myself though - firmly in the too difficult box!

Tim
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Thanks Tim.
And the blue stragglers are correct. I did read that around 20 to 30 are known now.

Menno