frozen window but running 15fps / 5000 frames

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
AstroDude

frozen window but running 15fps / 5000 frames

Post by AstroDude »

getting ready to go outside and using the latest (2 days ago) 4.0.8791 version and testing it in the house out of the window before heading out , using my ZWO224mc via ZWO 533mc via Anker hub 7 port usb3 to Acer laptop
on connect the screen is light blue or pitch white, so i drop the gain to zero / exposure to its lowest and raising slowly, no changes .
here's the thing the Histogram follows the exposure , the screen stays white/blue.
Im not a beginner been using SC for 6 years. but this is a brand new ACER Enduro N3 .
i did all the trouble shooting that i know, from bypassing Hub to switching cables! Notta, so i switched to the 533 and it finally shows the trees far away but only as a single frame frozen but the histo follows along. tested both cameras in PHD2 + NINA and its all fine..the gear is brand new.
All drivers are up to date this week. No cameras/ no polar align/ no imaging. :(
here is the log. and screen shot.
Attachments
Log_2022-04-08T15_22_18-1996.log
(255.99 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Log_2022-04-08T15_04_59-9184.log
(159.58 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Log_2022-04-08T14_56_39-15392.log
(35.59 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
SC freeze.jpg
SC freeze.jpg (181.08 KiB) Viewed 859 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: frozen window but running 15fps / 5000 frames

Post by admin »

Hi,

sorry to hear that you had this problem - I think the largest of the 3 log files has the information about the issue, which is that the display rendering engine had an error a few seconds after you displayed the histogram at about 15:48. At that point, most of the UI of SharpCap would have frozen apart from the histogram itself (which uses an older display technology in that version of SharpCap).

Now, I think that the issue is actually down to the display of the histogram in the older technology being embedded in the new UI which has a newer display technology. I've seen similar things myself and have already re-implemented the histogram in the same new technology as the rest of the application. This change is in 4.0.8791 already, so the first thing to do would be to update to that version. If I am right about the mix of old and new display technologies causing the problem then this issue should be a thing of the past...

cheers,

Robin
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Pretty much the same thing I just encountered. I ran into this when I uploaded 4.0.8791 64 bit to my brand new HP Windows 10 home edition machine. Camera views freeze at what is grabbed when Sharpcap comes up. However, histograms seem to be active and correct.

I then tested my camera ( ASI224mc } on my old laptop running WIndows 7 and it works fine so it is not the camera. I also updated my WIndows 7 machine to 4.0.8791.0 64 bit and it continues to work fine. So: it doesn't appear to be the camera, it doesn't appear to be version 4.0.8791 64 bit...it maybe the new HP hardware or (my guess) some interaction with Windows 10. I also tried reverting the Windows 10 machine to 4.0.8667 as a shot in the dark and it still freezes.

Thanks for any help.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

One more observation. Just reverted my new Windows 10 / HP laptop to 3.2.6482.0 and it works fine with my ASI224 camera and the onboard HP webcam.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

can I ask you to check that the graphics card drivers on your new laptop are the correct ones and are up to date? A buggy graphics card driver could cause this sort of problem.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

another thing to try would be to run SharpCap from the command line and add the '/softwarerendering' parameter - this bypasses using the acceleration of the graphics card driver (and may slow down graphics), but if there is a bug in the graphics card driver then it should also avoid the bug.

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\SharpCap 4.0 (64 bit)\SharpCap.exe" /softwarerendering
cheers,

Robin
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I updated my display drivers and no difference (still freezes). I ran using softwarerendering from the command line and it works. Certainly implies the graphics driver...
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Sorry...I *thought* I updated the drivers. Graphics is Intel based so I went to the Intel site which identified an upgrade which I installed. As I reported earlier, that didn't work. It occurred to me to go the PC manufacturers site (HP) and turns out they had a graphics update which works! Great call on your part about the drivers...I wouldn't have even tried since it is a brandy-new laptop....Thanks again.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

phew - glad it turned out to be something that was simple to fix in the end (once you found the right drivers...). It's good to know for future reference if other people encounter the same problem.

cheers,

Robin