v4.0.8791-64-bit Apparent filter Naming bug

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
celkins

v4.0.8791-64-bit Apparent filter Naming bug

Post by celkins »

Robin,
please see the attached screenshot - sorry about the quality, but size matters ;-)
Hopefully, you can see that the filenames include the {filter} tag, "LPS-D1", but as you can see from the screenshot, filter "LPS-D2" is selected...
SC_filterError-2022-04-08 (20)-resize.jpg
SC_filterError-2022-04-08 (20)-resize.jpg (360.7 KiB) Viewed 501 times
Attachments
Log_2022-04-07T23_16_07-24848.log
(567.92 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: v4.0.8791-64-bit Apparent filter Naming bug

Post by admin »

Hi Carl,

did you capture those images while live stacking? I think that the file naming for live stack only looks at the filter when a new stack is started, and does not update if you change the filter while the stack is already in progress. I wasn't really expecting people to be changing filters while the stack is running, so the current approach seemed OK.

cheers,

Robin
celkins

Post by celkins »

Hi, Robin,
yes, I was using Live Stack, but I don't think I changed the filter name during the stacking... would it be possible to use the same code path as is used if the name gets changed, if this is the case? (Just thinking aloud)

Cheers,
Carl
BTW: would it be easy to add the frame stacking stats (% pixels rejected by sigma-clip) to the logs? I was looking at these as the clouds drifted in on me last night, and notice how well the clip was rejecting lower quality subs, but didn't find these stats recorded...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Carl,

logging the sigma clip stats is easy, but dealing with filter changes is a pain, since you have to think about what happens if the filter name is in the folder name, rather than the file part of the name. SharpCap deals with renaming of the object even if that involves a folder name change, but it's hairy scary stuff and I'm not keen on expanding it to filter names, since there are all sorts of other camera settings that then almost make sense.

I have just tested and as far as I can see the way it works is as I expected - the filter name is captured when the stack is started and is used for the whole of that stack - if you change filter mid stack then it is not updated.

Somewhere down the line there is a possible feature of live stacking with LRGB filters (or even narrowband) building the 3 channels - when I get around to that I will have to think harder about filter names in raw files.

cheers,

Robin