Moravian C1X OSC Experienced users??

paul07834

Re: Moravian C1X OSC Experienced users??

Post by paul07834 »

Robin:

I went out today to try the ASCOM drivers for this camera. None of them worked, either remotely or with hard wire connection.

BUT, all of a sudden today, the direct hardwire connection between the camera and the scope-side pc, using the native drivers, WORKED. Nothing changed from yesterday so I am stumped but grateful.

I still cannot get the VirtualHere/wifi connection working but I will now turn my attention to the USB port redirection software and my wifi router.

One last question. I only get one available Colour Space with this camera -- RAW16. Do you know whether this camera/native driver supports RGB24?

Thanks
Paul
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Paul,

I think I saw some of your uploaded bug reports yesterday... Having had a quick look at the log that you have provided, it looks as though the camera is disconnecting from USB when SharpCap tries to read data from it. I suspect that this is a hardware issue with (probably) power available at the USB port. Unless that was you pulling the plug on the camera after the crash happened?

The keys lines from the log are

Code: Select all

Warning	15:39:40.529754	#26	Processing camera exception : Exception of type 'CameraException' : Error 'Failed to read image data' from call to 
CxCameraBase.ReadImage(buffer=2849006067776, bufferSize=122342976) 
Info   	15:39:45.875161	#1 	Received hardware removal event for \\?\USB#VID_1347&PID_0CA1#5&2196a73b&0&14#{4833ee92-1978-4a02-85af-94396406c32e}				in void SharpCap.UI.MainWindowSupport.HandleMessage(Message m)
Warning	15:39:45.878558	#1 	Moravian camera 2848964863520 has disconnected while in use
I would suggest trying different USB ports or adding a powered hub to see if that helps. Also try SharpCap 4.1 beta which has improvements to Moravian support in some areas. However we may need to go back to Moravian if none of that helps for more guidance from them.

Interestingly, I have a Beelink mini PC sitting on my desk at the moment for testing. If I plug certain cameras into the read USB ports of that device then it shuts down instantly. An original ZWO174MC causes that as well as a QHY294C. They work fine in the front USB ports though...

cheers,

Robin
paul07834

Post by paul07834 »

Robin:

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Based on your suggestions, I tried some other approaches and here is what I learned.

1. Although the problem does seem centered around the USB ports on the dob-side computer, I don't think it is a physical power problem. Rather my attempts to use VirtualHere over wifi to control the camera from my main computer somehow prevent that USB port from working correctly if I then try to use Sharpcap on the dob-side computer to control the camera over a hard USB cable. The only way to fix this issue is to turn off the dob-side computer (I also unplug the power cord and the USB cable although I am not sure this is necessary). After I restart the dob-side computer, I go to Device Manager and select "View Hidden Items". In addition to the connected camera listing, I get "phantom" unconnected camera items that I then uninstall. This is bizarre.

2. I did try the Sharpcap 4.1 beta and got the same results.

3. I tried other USB port redirecting software programs with the same results.

4. I upgraded the wifi router in the observatory to one using later wifi standards with the same results.

So, moving forward, I am going to control my camera and mount from my dob-side computer and use a remote desktop program to view the results on my main monitor. I understand this is how most people observe with a scope-side computer.

Finally, do you know whether this camera/native driver supports RGB24? I only get one Colour Space option - RAW16.

Thanks for all of the support!

Paul
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Paul,

yes, it sounds like remote desktop is the safest bet in this sort of situation. I don't think I have ever seen a remote USB solution that is 100% robust sadly. Of course remote desktop can bring its own challenges (especially if the bandwidth is poor), but unless you are capturing video you should be OK.

I don't think any of the Moravian cameras have direct support for RGB - you either get RAW or MONO direct from the SDK depending on colour/mono sensor. Some brands like ZWO do have RGB support, but that is (as far as I know) handled by RAW data coming back from the camera to the PC and then it is debayered inside the ZWO code running on the PC.

With only RAW16 showing up, it means that the camera currently is not supporting any alternative read modes, so RAW16 is all you get.

If you want to save an RGB image direct from SharpCap then you can use the save icon in the mini histogram - that saves the image exactly as shown on screen, including any display stretch and will save RGB debayered images for you.

cheers,

Robin
paul07834

Post by paul07834 »

Robin, thanks again for your assistance and explanation of the Colour Space.

Let me join the other SharpCap users in thanking you for creating and maintaining this wonderful product. It has been a game changer in allowing me to enjoy my astronomy hobby!

All the best!

Paul Abel