Autostacks for improved sharpness of M51

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
timh

Autostacks for improved sharpness of M51

Post by timh »

Herewith a few images of M51 summarising progress. My interest over the past year has been in experimenting to get sharper brighter images of some of the brighter deep sky objects - generally within the constraints of Bortle 6-7 and UK skies. Very short exposures tend to be sharper so stacks of many 'semi-lucky' short 3s MONO camera exposures were used as luminance in order to improve the resolution of the longer exposure OSC images.
Obviously this technique only works if the luminance exposures offer sufficient SNR for the object in question (i.e. there is no point whatsoever in achieving a low FWHM value in a linear image that then needs stretching by that much more in order to adequately show an image). The total number of short luminance frames also needs to be kept manageable and not so many as to add too much read noise relative to sky brightness.

General observations were as follows …

1) Surprisingly large improvement in sharpness - FWHM of linear integration of > 100 debayered OSC frames improved from ~ 3.3 down to around 2.2 - with a change of telescope from a SW PDS200 F 5.0 sampling at 1 pixel/ arcsec ~ to a bigger Orion Optics (UK) VX12 300mm Newtonian F 4.0 sampling at 0.8 arcsec/ pixel.

While the VX12 (1/10 wave) is certainly a better quality telescope the scale of and reasons for this scale of improvement elude me. It could simply be that the seeing has been that much better this than last spring or that my focusing alignment skills are much better?

2) Further significant improvement in the sharpness of the final image - from FWHM 2.2 down to 1.8 - after adding in the luminance of 800 or so carefully selected ‘good’ 3s frames to an OSC image of M51.

3) BUT the process of selecting 800/2300 best 3s frames, calibrating, cosmetic correction, alignment and integration was laborious! It took half a day for my computer simply to calculate the integration (M51 being a relatively large object).

4) Directly using the Sharpcap autostacks of the 3s frames (selected using brightness and FWHM filters) for luminance and bypassing the selection of 2) and 3) was far less painful, much quicker and produced nearly as good (FWHM only down to 2.0 but SNR 3x better) an improvement in image sharpness.

So the bottom line message is that - in order to produce very short frame sharp luminance images - it is as well simply to make use of what Sharpcap already offers. Set the FWHM and brightness filters to only select ‘good’ frames , make a further stack of the autostacks and use this as luminance. It saves an awful lot of raw file handling - that in the end might make only a marginal improvement

The one thing that ideally I would add to Sharpcap autostacking in order to perfect it for this use (message to Robin 😊 ) would be to add an ellipticity filter for taking out the frames with oddly shaped flared stars - that still pass the FWHM filter.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Details were as follows.

VX12 Orion Optics (UK) Newtonian (f = 1200mm, F4.0), SW parracor type coma corrector, CEM70 Ioptron mount, Baader steeltrack focuser, Pegasus Cube2 focus controller, PHD2 guiding using an ASI 120 mm guide camera and 80 mm SW startravel refractor at f = 400 mm.

ZWO AS1294 MC OSC camera, 4.63 um pixels, 14 bit ADU at 0.8 arcsec/pixel. Frames taken on 240322 under moonless Bortle 6 skies. All frames pre-selected for quality using the FWHM and brightness filter within Sharpcap, darks and grayscale master flats (no bias) prepared using Sharpcap. Preprocessing, further frame selection (Subframe Selector selecting just 40% based on Stars, Ellipticity and FWHM) and processing (using CFA drizzle x1 integration which produced much superior colour than debayering) in PixInsight.

ZWO AS1294 MM mono camera, 2.15 um pixels, 12 bit ADU at 0.4 arcsec/pixel. Frames taken on 270222 and 26-270322 under moonless Bortle 6 skies. All frames pre-selected for quality using the FWHM and brightness filter within Sharpcap, darks and grayscale master flats (no bias) prepared using Sharpcap. Preprocessing, further frame selection (Subframe Selector selecting just 30% based on Stars, Ellipticity and FWHM) and processing then in PixInsight.

A is from 160421 and a total of 3h imaging under various skies using the AS1294 OSC and PDS200 telescope. The FWHM of the starting linear integration of debayered frames was 3.3. 30 min of HA was added to the red channel.

B is 167 x 40s exposures at gain 124 (near unity) using the VX12. The FWHM of the starting linear integration was ~ 2.2.

C is the same as B but with the RGB luminance replaced with the luminance from an integration(FWHM 2.0) of 5 x Sharpcap autostacks of 3s gain 200 monocamera frames totalling 1950 frames

D is the same as B but with the RGB luminance replaced with the luminance (FWHM 1.8) from an integration of 796x3s gain 200 of monocamera frames itself combined with the RGB luminance in a high dynamic range compilation (PI HDRC process). The effect of this is that the bright parts of the centre of the galaxy reflect the mono luminance and the fainter outer regions, the original RGB luminance.

I am pretty happy with how much more detailed the centre of M51 now appears - although the original 2021 PDS200 image was actually a much better image in terms of showing galaxy extent because it was partly taken under darker Bortle4 skies it is rather blurred at the centre. Handling a thousand or so individual fairly large short frames is laborious and just directly using the Sharpcap autostacks a much easier compromise.
Attachments
CaptureM51BD.JPG
CaptureM51BD.JPG (47.54 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
CaptureM51AC.JPG
CaptureM51AC.JPG (44.08 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
CaptureM51_4compare.JPG
CaptureM51_4compare.JPG (41.28 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
Last edited by timh on Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
turfpit

Re: Autostacks for improved sharpness of M51

Post by turfpit »

Good write-up Tim. Thanks.

Dave
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Hi Tim,

Brilliant piece! I've been using this formula: RGB exposure equal to 3 times L exposure. However, my choice of luminance exposure is always in the 90s-120s range for Bortle 5 skies.

My Atik 314E (cooled mono CCD) is far too noisy to take 3s exposures. So what do you think about using my Altair 290M (uncooled mono CMOS) for luminance?

The 290M has a pixel size of 2.9um compared to the 314E's 4.65um, but the way I look at it, who cares? The Atik is used for color.

The only unknown is if I can get APP to integrate.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

great write up - thanks for sharing!

I have noted down the idea for an ellipticity filter. One possibility would be to tweak the FWHM measurement to represent the long axis of the detected star if it is elliptical (right now it represents the average).

cheers,

Robin
timh

Post by timh »

Many thanks folks for the kind comments. After many years working as a research scientist writing up is now sort of ingrained in me - It's compulsive and I can't learn or retain anything if I don't do it.

Hi Robin,

Many thanks for picking up on this. The pessimistic version of the FWHM filter (is it 'Ellipticity' or 'Eccentricity') that you suggest seems like an elegant solution and it would be interesting to visually compare its effect with the existing filter. I did run an experiment on my existing data and confirmed that there was a reasonable correlation between PI-measured Eccentricity and what I could see visually using Blink in terms of distorted and bloated star shapes.

Of course the other important filter is Brightness which relates to SNR. Would there be any way of making this more absolute and refer to say an individual frame within say a preceding autostack - rather than let it shift and reset the meaning of 100% as one autostack closes and a fresh one starts capture?

I really like the amount of work that the autostack facility can bypass - and they do generally work well and are a valuable feature of SC imo

thanks once again
Tim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Brian,

Not familar with that camera but looking at it online it seems to be very well suited to the purpose of collecting short luminance frames, High QE, very low read noise (about an electron/ read), 12 bit ADU - same- and pixels slightly larger than on my As1294MM. Cooling probably not an issue for such short frames..

If you do start giving the short frame luminance approach a go then my empirical learning so far..

Frames from subsecond up to at least 3s ..probably 5s do give some FWHM benefit

Obviously only certain objects are suitable and all depends on F number, image scale, sampling rate etc.

Obviously F 4.0 works better than F 5.0 (actually I probably should say aperture rather than F# - cf http://www.stanmooreastro.com/f_ratio_myth.htm )and so on..

At F 4.0 to F 5.0 subsecond frames only work with very bright objects - like globular cluster cores-maybe some planetaries. 3 - 5s at a gain above unity (0.3 to o,5 electrons/ ADU ) seems to be the sweet spot for bright galaxies and many planetries

Balance of SNR versus number of frames is important. - need adequate SNR within a stack of 1000-2000 frames (on the assumption that any more - i.e. above 2-4k electrons - would add too much read noise and squash down dynamic range too far)

The best individual frames I get tend to be about FWHM 1.6. These are often also the brightest (most stars) and least distorted (low Eccentricity) but you don't get that many (depends on brief periods of good seeing and focus) - some nights are just poor of course.

Frame selection does improve things ... select on FWHM, number of stars and Eccentricity ..but not so harshly as to lose so many frames that too much SNR is lost. And it is time consuming - hence autostack comment.

For some reason dense frames captured at 0.4-0.5 arcsec / pixel seem to consistently provide better results than at 0.8-1.0 arcsec/ pixel - (and this rule also applies later in processing - if you 2x bin the 0.4 arc sec files significant resolution seems to be lost ..at least using integer resample in PI)

Anyway. Hope this helps and good luck with it if you give it a go. I've enjoyed the journey of trying my best to get California desert like pictures from a UK Bortle 6 back yard :-)

Tim