Sharpcap Pro on pc stick

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
astroc

Sharpcap Pro on pc stick

Post by astroc »

Hello,

I plan to build a nomad solution for Planetary Acquisition, Live Stacking and Polar align, based on Sharpcap Pro on PC stick like this one :
https://www.amazon.fr/Windows-Celeron-P ... 508&sr=8-7

What do you think about the performance on such a configuration ? For Livestacking and Polar align, I thin it will be ok but for planetary acquisition, in combination with a SSD, have I some issues with fast acquisition ?

Thanks for your reply,

Olivier
carlomuccini

Re: Sharpcap Pro on pc stick

Post by carlomuccini »

It has two USB3 ports, connecting a USB3 external HD SSD you shouldn't have any problems
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

that PC stick has a fairly low power processor, which will limit you to some extent, as may the speed of the storage medium (although a USB3 SSD would help on the latter).

I would suggest not expecting to run a very high resolution camera - 1280x960 should be fine, 1920x1080 might be OK, anything bigger may well have problems.

cheers,

Robin
iamhondo

Post by iamhondo »

I have that same PC. I've only used it for general, mostly non-astro purposes (thanks to terrible weather). But I plan to deploy it as a ride-along controller for a tracker with a DSLR. Overall, it seems to have faster network and storage response compared to my older mini-pcs. It seems very brisk.

I'll eventually get around to video capture for solar system imaging. But not until a few months of widefield tracker imaging.

To be continued...
astroc

Post by astroc »

Thanks for your replies !
Maybe I will test this. Yes, my big question is about the low power processor : will it be enough for live stacking for instance ?
I will order one and test it :-) ! my camera is ASI 224 so not so big resolution, ouf :-)

Regards