Problems using Live Stacking

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
Lorix

Problems using Live Stacking

Post by Lorix »

Good afternoon Robin
despite having followed the manual and followed the numerous amateur video tutorials I cannot get the desired results in Live Stacking.

I notice that after setting the camera exposure and gain, the Live Stacking section histogram graph peaks far to the right (at the height of the Enhancement tab) and I can't reasonably bring it to the left. In addition, between the left edge and the aforementioned peak there is a signal that looks like a wave at about one third of the total height.

I wanted to know if the problem for not getting good images is that and how I can do to solve it.

Thank you
Lorenzo.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems using Live Stacking

Post by admin »

Hi Lorenzo,

I think a couple of screenshots would be helpful to let me understand what you are having trouble with

1) Without live stacking, just showing the image that is coming from your camera with no processing/stacking

2) With live stacking turned on, showing the histogram at the bottom and the image.

thanks,

Robin
Lorix

Post by Lorix »

Thanks for the kind and quick reply Robin.
Unfortunately the only photograph of the evening I have is this attached.
I hope you can still help me somehow

Lorenzo.
Attachments
20220321_232447.jpg
20220321_232447.jpg (351.46 KiB) Viewed 1909 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

difficult to tell without seeing the live stacking histogram, sorry.

What I can see is that you have had a lot of drift during the stack (107 pixels in X) - that might be part of the problem, since when you get significant drift you get weird effect at the edges where the drift has pushed that part of the image out of view. In the end, you would crop those from the final image, but they can lead to odd things in the histogram.

There are signs in the image that your banding threshold is set too high (dark bands adjacent to bright stars). Might be best to turn off banding suppression until you have time to work through the proper setup of the threshold (see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#!2!Pre-processing)

cheers,

Robin
Lorix

Post by Lorix »

Thanks Robin, I will still put into practice what you advised me.

You are always very polite and quick to respond.

Clear skies,
Lorenzo from Italy.