Moon images saved over exposed

Discussions of using SharpCap for Solar or Lunar Imaging
lexmangin

Moon images saved over exposed

Post by lexmangin »

Hello, when I take images of the moon, after carefully setting the gain and shutter speed, the images are saved extremely over exposed. even though in live view, they look perfectly fine (well exposed). See attachment. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. For a while, things were working fine, so I assume I inadvertently changed a setting somehow?
Attachments
moon issue.PNG
moon issue.PNG (391.85 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
Menno555

Re: Moon images saved over exposed

Post by Menno555 »

Hi and welcome

I see that you use ASIFitsView. Maybe the Histogram of it got off. Try the Reset and/or Auto feature in the Histogram, maybe that helps?

Menno
lexmangin

Post by lexmangin »

Hi Menno,

Thank you for the reply. What's ASIFitsView? And, how do I do this "Try the Reset and/or Auto feature in the Histogram". I'm new to the program so not familiar with all the terminology yet.

Many thanks,

Lex
lexmangin

Post by lexmangin »

Hi Again Menno,

I figured out what you were asking me to do. When I reset the histogram, the images are still greatly over exposed. I did figure out how to move the sliders at the bottom of ASIFitsView to adjust 'exposure'. Doing that I am able to get the image to display correctly. I don't understand why the images are displayed that way though. Also, when I open the same fits files in Affinity photo, the images are also massively overexposed there. Why is it that the image is not processed correctly? Is there some setting in Sharpcap I am missing?

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

Lex
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Lex

Did you use the Display Histogram Stretch by any chance? If so, that only effects the capture on screen but not the saved capture.
Could you provide a screenshot of SharpCap only with the settings you used?
Or/and share the capture in question through WeTransfer or other file sharing site?

Menno
lexmangin

Post by lexmangin »

Hi Menno,

That may be what I did. Waiting for a clear night to test and send info back. should be int he next few days.

:)