v.4.0.8744 crash

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
celkins

v.4.0.8744 crash

Post by celkins »

Robin,
whilst I can remember it:
Had just done auto refocus, which finished successfully.
Tried to drag top of histogram pane down, and it kinda undocked from the main window, gaining a frame & furniture, then an error box popped up, but I couldn't type into it, nor send the report.
It said "messages are still being processed, even though the dispatcher is suspended" (I think that's the right wording)
Attachments
Log_2022-03-14T23_16_49-8816.zip
(121.51 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: v.4.0.8744 crash

Post by admin »

Hi,

that bug is really annoying, since it is very hard to track down the exact cause each time it happens - fortunately it's pretty rare. Basically it usually means that something tried to pop up a window or a message box while SharpCap was handling the resize of some part of the display or another.

Unfortunately the log (and the message text you quoted) tells me enough to tell what sort of bug it is, but not to work out what caused it. I will look to see if the full report got uploaded. If you manage to make it happen reliably, do let me know how, as that is the best way for me to work out how to fix it - if I can make it happen every time.

cheers,

Robin
celkins

Post by celkins »

I've managed to provoke it again :-)
I clicked on Histogram button in both windows, and it opened full height under the sub image. I then tried to re-size it down, and got the content of the screenshot attached: trying to repeat this on the other (RHS) instance provoked the "Dispatcher suspended..." error dbox, from which I can't send the report :-(
The LH window was still fully functional, as per log snippet - doesn't look helpful, though...
SCv4.0.8744_Histo-detatched_4MP_2022-03-17_024502.jpg
SCv4.0.8744_Histo-detatched_4MP_2022-03-17_024502.jpg (751.8 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Attachments
Log_2022-03-16T23_29_27-14288.log
(607.24 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
celkins

Post by celkins »

Following up, I've found the crash dumps...
Attachments
scbug_c7c220bf-de9b-4a77-83cc-5767215dec9b.zip
(206.25 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for those - I also found an uploaded bug report (not sure if it was yours or someone else) which had the same symptoms of a crash with that message when detaching the bottom panel.

I couldn't break it myself, but I did see something in the code that might be responsible, so I have made a potential fix which will be in the next 4.0 update. The side effect of the 'fix' is that if you move the mouse quickly when detaching the histogram, the new window that appears might be positioned slightly away from the mouse.

If you have a chance to test when the next version comes out, I'd be very grateful. Hopefully you will no longer be able to break it :)

cheers,

Robin