Getting things working

Questions, tips, information and discussions about using the SharpCap Sequencer and Sequence Planner tools
Ginger

Getting things working

Post by Ginger »

Hi

I’m trying to get the sequencer working with dithering and guiding but am struggling a bit here.
Best to mention first what I do to date…
Scope set up, PA done, on target, tracking, focussed
Start PHD2
Start sharpcap
Connect PHD2 to equipment, start, guide
Set up visuals in sharpcap
Go to stacking, start stacking

…it all works

I’m just trying to emulate the stacking for X frames then stop and park mount.

When I start the script I get an error saying guiding app not started. This is where things get confusing as it’s not clear what app needs to take control of what. Again as before, no idea what I’m doing really. Sorry !
admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting things working

Post by admin »

Hi,

in the sequencer you need to add a step at the beginning of the sequence to tell SharpCap to start talking to PHD2, so that it can monitor guiding status and send dither requests - I think this is what you are missing.

The step you need is called 'Monitor Guiding Application' and is in the guiding section of the steps list. You also need to make sure the SharpCap guiding settings are set up to use PHD2 and that 'Enable Server' is turned on in the PHD2 tools menu.

If it's not that then please send a screenshot showing the exact error message, and also the current content of your sequence, which will let me dig further into what is going on.

cheers,

Robin
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Hi yes I have that command in. Please see (really bad) pictures
Attachments
9A2A53F7-5739-49F4-846F-8F0AAD55A8A4.jpeg
9A2A53F7-5739-49F4-846F-8F0AAD55A8A4.jpeg (179.94 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
D16B8987-D9A6-437D-A476-D91921AC14C4.jpeg
D16B8987-D9A6-437D-A476-D91921AC14C4.jpeg (154.39 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, OK...

If you are using live stacking then you should set the live stack settings up to dither at the required interval, and let live stack take care of the dithering - no need to put the 'GUIDING DITHER EVERY...' step in the sequencer. That step is designed to be used when capturing frames directly (no live stacking), and additionally the camera needs to be in still mode for that step to be usable (so that SharpCap knows exactly when the gaps between frames are to trigger the dither).

cheers,

Robin