Problems with plate solving

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
jeruss

Problems with plate solving

Post by jeruss »

Greetings: I have recently been having some problems with sharpcap platesolving. I am using cpwi as planetarium software and I have the platesolving software set to synch and center object in frame. I select an object in cpwi and tell the mount to go to it and then select the plate solve button in sharcap. However sometimes after it plate solves instead of centering the object I will get the following message: "could not synch mount to plate solve location, object reference not set to an instance of an object". The only thing I can think of that I am doing differently is that I have downloaded and installed the latest version of cpwi. Any ideas about what could be causing this problem? Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with plate solving

Post by admin »

Hi,

If you are seeing that sort of error then you are probably also being prompted to send the error report - if you can get that error report to me then I can work out if there is something going wrong inside CPWI (quite possible - it has a number of issues) or if it is something wrong in SharpCap.

If you cannot send the error report, then you can post the SharpCap log from one of the sessions where you had the problem - if you open the log file in Windows Notepad then you will find that the 'object reference not set to...' error will be in the file somewhere. See this part of the documentation for info on how to locate previous log file : https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Show%20Log

cheers,

Robin
jeruss

Post by jeruss »

thanks for the reply Robin. I will try to figure out how to do this.
jeruss

Post by jeruss »

Robin,I am attaching the log file...hopefully. The error message is in it. Hope you can figure something out. Thanks so much for the help you provide to your users.
Attachments
Log_2022-03-03T11_03_07-11388.log
(45.03 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

OK, thanks, that's useful.

I can see that the error is coming from CPWI when SharpCap is telling it to connect to the mount. I think you need to find an older version of CPWI to install, because this has jogged my memory that there is an active thread on cloudy nights discussing that the latest CPWI is buggy - see https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/8085 ... -no-worky/

cheers,

Robin
jeruss

Post by jeruss »

Thanks Robin. Fortunately I still have the older version in my download folder.