Feature Tracking for DSO

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Lorix

Feature Tracking for DSO

Post by Lorix »

Hi Robin
is there the development of "feature tracking" for long exposure photographs? it would be very useful so that I can save myself from buying the guide telescope and the camera shortly.

Thank You
Lorix
admin
Site Admin

Re: Feature Tracking for DSO

Post by admin »

Hi,

true guiding on the same camera as the one breing used for deep sky imaging isn't possible - the deep sky imaging requires long exposures, but guiding requires short exposures to compensate quickly for any errors in the mount movement.

Adjusting the position between captured frames to counteract slow drift is possible - this is something you can do already if you are happy playing with the advanced sequence editor (use the plate solve, sync and re-goto step at intervals). It's also something I have planned for a future update for inclusion in live stacking.

cheers,

Robin
Lorix

Post by Lorix »

Thanks Robin for your answer, I tried to read the documentation for "Advanced Sequence Editor" but unfortunately having never tried it I think I will be waiting for your Live Stacking update with the feature you announced to me soon ;)

Clear skies from Italy!

Lorix
MunichAtNight

Post by MunichAtNight »

Hello!

I tried with ...
admin wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:26 pm if you are happy playing with the advanced sequence editor (use the plate solve, sync and re-goto step at intervals)
the sequence editor. But I wasn't really successfully last night. I setup a sequence
sharpcap-plate-solve.jpg
sharpcap-plate-solve.jpg (380.81 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
I got every 10 frames with 8 s each, so after 80 seconds an additional 300 px. wide, black border on the right side of the stack. FIrst 300 px wide, than 600 pix wide and so on ...
STRETCHED_Stack_31frames_248s_WithDisplayStretch.jpg
STRETCHED_Stack_31frames_248s_WithDisplayStretch.jpg (287.61 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
I got the impression, that the sequence command "plate solve, sync and re-goto " didn't do a CENTER. But I am not 100% sure.

Sometimes, when doing manually the menu order "plate solve and sync" I got the "feeling" - I couldn't verify it by sure, but from time to time I think, I guess - the mount stays at it actual position, doesn't move the FOV, doesn't center at the end.

And this "Behaviour" happened yesterday, too when working with the sequence editor.

When doing the manual menu command "Plate solve only" followed by the the command in the window "Deep Sky Annotation result" where the object (here M27 is selected) Center in View - it's doing every time it's job. But this commands can't be selected in the sequence editor.

I was some how unsafe and confused, perhaps the command plate solve, sync and re-goto is being influenced in the "Plate Solving Tab" by a setting in the "Configure Plate Solving"
sharpcap-doc-01.jpg
sharpcap-doc-01.jpg (141.5 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
I tried to puzzle it out and played around with different settings. But playing around isn't a good strategy to solve a problem. I could find no real context!

I will try next night again. In case somebody has an idea or see a problem in my sequence I would be more than happy for any hint ! ;)
admin wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:26 pm It's also something I have planned for a future update for inclusion in live stacking.
Sounds terrific! Gorgeous! I would like to help and I am prepared for any beta-testing!

Servus - MuncihAtNight - Ewald
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Ewald,

my suspicion is that the 'solve and sync' is using the stacked image, which is of course not moving at all, so it sees that the image has not drifted at all, and therefore performs no correction. One of the things I need to do to get periodic solving/sync into live stacking is to fix that issue.

I think a workaround would be to have your sequence close live stacking, do the solve + sync with live stacking closed, re-open live stacking and then resume live stacking (the stacking will re-open in pause). I think that might work.

cheers,

Robin
MunichAtNight

Post by MunichAtNight »

Hi Robin!
admin wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:28 pm I think a workaround would be to have your sequence close live stacking, do the solve + sync with live stacking closed, re-open live stacking and then resume live stacking (the stacking will re-open in pause). I think that might work.
Thank you! This sounds for a good plan! I will try next possible night and will report how it works!

Servus MunichAtNight - Ewald
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Also, give next week's update a try when it is available and you have some clear skies. I tweaked the code so that if live stacking is active you should get plate solving results from the most recent raw frame, not from the stack, which would fix this issue.

cheers,

Robin
MunichAtNight

Post by MunichAtNight »

Hi!

Great news! Thank you very much! I am very excited for the new update! Hopefully rain and clouds are synchronized with next update! ;)

MunichAtNight

Post by MunichAtNight »

Hello Robin!

As I was able to recognize and solve my "real" major problems caused by using a not perfect recentered Starsense camera for alignment as I explained in the other thread. Finding and solving my problem tooks away the "strong" need to do an automated way to reposition the mount and In the moment I can use and live with the actual status.

Nevertheless I tried testing what you mentioned here in this thread ...
admin wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:28 pm I think a workaround would be to have your sequence close live stacking, do the solve + sync with live stacking closed, re-open live stacking and then resume live stacking (the stacking will re-open in pause). I think that might work.
... and I wasn't successful in my first attempt. I am afraid I setup the sequence with wrong steps, so it could not work properly and correctly. I will check again as soon as possible by CLS the sequence and try to do it proper.

To keep the information loop closed for users which may read this thread in the future I add the following information and link to the other mentioned thread.

You mentioned in the other thread that you are planing and working for future features
This feature which will be a way of "Software Guiding" without extra guiding camera and will be a great help for me and many other users too. I am very excited for it and keep waiting patient for it!