Mount moving incorrectly

Questions, tips, information and discussions about using the SharpCap Sequencer and Sequence Planner tools
Ginger

Mount moving incorrectly

Post by Ginger »

Hi,

Can someone please offer some advice on the sequencer? I am using an EQ5 Pro mount. its all connected etc. but when I instruct the mount to move to the home position using the sequencer, it moves to 90 degrees out on RA and Dec. If I move the mount to home using the hand held controller, it moves to the correct (North,0) position.

Please advise. Thanks :)
admin
Site Admin

Re: Mount moving incorrectly

Post by admin »

Hi,

you can't really use the 'Move the mount' steps in the sequencer to go to the home position reliably, since while the declination of the home position is +90, the RA of the home position varies as time passes. You can use the 'Park the mount' step to park, if that is what you are hoping to do.

Some other things to check...

* Have you got the co-ordinates in the right order - RA=0, Dec=90 should be 0.0,90.0 not 90.0, 0.0
* Check the ASCOM driver you are using - if it shows a readout window of its own, check the co-ordinates agree with the handset - this could be an ASCOM driver issue
* Note that the co-ordinates in the sequencer are interpreted as being J2000, and are converted to JNOW epoch by SharpCap if your ASCOM driver reports that it uses JNOW (most do). This will mean that you end up slightly off the co-ordinates that are shown in the sequencer, but should be *on* target for the thing you want to look at assuming you entered its J2000 co-ordinates.

cheers,

Robin
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Hi Robin
Thanks. Sorry yes really bad wording on my part. I am indeed using the ‘park mount’ command. The mount moves to what it thinks is the park position, but it isn’t.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, OK.

I think it's likely that the ASCOM driver (are you using EQMOD?) has a different idea about where the park position should be than the handset.

If it is EQMOD then there are various 'parking' options, like 'park to home position', 'park to defined position', etc. Have a check of those (and probably the EQMOD documentation too). I seem to recall setting up a custom park position a few years back when I was using a 10" Newt that was too tall for the observatory roof to slide back into place in the normal park position.

cheers,

Robin
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Hi,

No I am not using EQMOD.
I found what I thought was the adjustment in ASCOM profile app, I tried adjusting the part position from 0 to 90, -90 and 270. All of them left with with a failed park mount attempt. Honestly, I absolutely no idea what I'm doing and instructions for this seem very poor.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, if not EQMOD then I guess you must be using Skywatcher's own ASCOM driver from https://www.skywatcher.com/download/sof ... om-driver/

Unfortunately this isn't something I use personally, but hopefully there are other forum members who do use this who might understand how it works when parking the mount.

cheers,

Robin