New Feature : Satellite Trail Removal

All the latest news about new features and improvements to SharpCap
AndrewP

Re: New Feature : Satellite Trail Removal

Post by AndrewP »

Hi Robin,

It was taking about 5/6 seconds which surprised me as my laptop has a reasonable spec (Intel i7, 512GB SSD etc) and the camera is a Zwo 294, so not a huge sensor. Now I know how long it can take it’s not too much of a problem but when I first started testing I was convinced the feature wasn’t working because I kept fiddling with the settings before it had finished processing.

Cheers

Andrew
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the info - I am trying to work out a way to flag the processing stage to the user, that will appear in a later version (most new features like this are now going to go into SharpCap 4.1, rather than as updates to 4.0)

cheers,

Robin
AndrewP

Post by AndrewP »

Great, thanks Robin.
dalepenkala

Post by dalepenkala »

Hello Robin,
Great addition to SC! I have a quick question. I notice in the “test camera 1 DSO” the “Musk” on/off switch is there in the preprocessing but when I switch over to my camera that I’m using (either my 294 or 071) that switch is gone and only the options for the tool is there so does this mean once you turn it on in the “test camera 2 DSO” mode its always on?

Dale
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dale,

the "Musk's Curse" option actually *adds* satelite trails to the test camera image to allow you to mess around with removing them again using the satellite trail removal settings in the PreProcessing section. This is just a feature of the test camera, so isn't available for real cameras.

The best way to tune the removal settings for a real camera is as follows

* Find an existing saved frame from the camera that has a satellite trail in it. If you have multiple, start with the faint ones, since if you get them sorted then the brighter ones should be too
* Load that frame into the test camera as the test image, and adjust satellite trail removal settings until it is detected and eliminated (no need for the simulated trails at this point)
* Note down the various trail removal settings (sensitivity, width, etc), and use those as the settings when actually capturing with your camera.

Also, you should test with the 'highlight' option turned on when you move to a new target to make sure that your settings do not pick up any features of your target as a trail (Globular clusters seem worst for this).

cheers,

Robin
dalepenkala

Post by dalepenkala »

Hi Robin,
Thank you so much for the clarification on this! Very much appreciated and I just love SC my friend! Keep up the great work with this incredible software!

Dale