Atik Infinity Sensor Analysis

Ronin1956

Atik Infinity Sensor Analysis

Post by Ronin1956 »

I just purchased a color Atik Infinity on Cloudy Nights. I have all the current drivers installed. I just installed the latest version of Sharpcap and running Windows 11. The Infinity works well in Sharpcap but when I run sensor analysis, I have to select skip binning because when the Infinity goes to 2x2 the camera switches to mono and the analysis stops. The sensor analysis runs perfectly plotting green x's on the graph and completing all the steps. It appears the analysis has run normally but no graph is generated and only the top line at zero gain is shown in the chart. What is the issue?
Paul
admin
Site Admin

Re: Atik Infinity Sensor Analysis

Post by admin »

Hi Paul,

The Atik Infinity is a CCD camera, so unlike a CMOS camera it does not have a gain setting that you can adjust while imaging. The multiple rows in the data table (and multiple points on the graphs) come from testing at different gains when using a CMOS camera, so a single row and single set of points on the graph is expected for a CCD camera.

I wouldn't worry too much about the binning test problem - the worst that can come from that not being done is that the smart histogram may recommend longer exposures than really needed in bin2 mode, but since that seems to wipe out your colour, I expect you will not use it much.

cheers,

Robin
Ronin1956

Post by Ronin1956 »

Thanks Robin
Then if the sensor analysis has run correctly for the Atik Infinity, I should be able to use the recommendations given by the smart histogram and brain functions? My next question is I live in Boca Raton, Florida and the light pollution is terrible. I need to purchase a light pollution filter. Do I need to run sensor analysis with the light pollution installed again with the filter in the imaging train?
Paul
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Paul,

no, you don't need to run the analysis with a filter - the analysis is measuring the characteristics of the sensor itself... If you run with a filter then the analysis will just end up using longer exposures (and taking longer) to compensate for the light lost to filtering. The results will come out the same to within random error.

cheers,

Robin