Colour Space Issue

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
John

Colour Space Issue

Post by John »

Strange one. Friday night imaging the Leo Triplet in RAW12 with an Altair 269C Pro TEC, no problems. Saturday morning go to do the flats and darks (in my observatory :D ). Saturday night go to do the same and everything is red. Can see stars and the galaxies but the background of the image is red. Point to the zenith, red. Put the lens cap on and do a dark frame, red, not dark at all. The histograms show red to the right of blue and green.
Repeat the checks on Sharpcap this morning and no change. Connect to Altair Capture and all appears ok. Darks are dark and the flats are as expected (a bit green as there's an L Pro on the front) both on RAW and RGB.
Delete and reinstall Sharpcap and try RAW 12, still red. On a hunch switch to RGB 24 and all is as expected, flat slight blue green as per L pro and the dark is dark.
Not sure what's goign on. Any suggestions???
red1.jpg
red1.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Colour Space Issue

Post by admin »

Hi John,

my first guess is going to be that you have adjusted some camera setting to give the red colour and then SharpCap is automatically restoring that camera setting each time you open the camera. If you hold down <CTRL> while opening the camera next time it will stop SharpCap from automatically restoring previous settings. It's possible that you have set up the use of either a dark frame or a flat frame that could be the culprit here.

cheers,

Robin
John

Post by John »

Cheers Robin, I did wonder if I'd managed to do something like that. I think I can turn auto use last camera settings in the settings too. I'll gove it a go.

thanks

John
John

Post by John »

Ah Ha! :D The darks now look dark rather than red. I suppose if somehow I'd appied a subtraction of the last flat taken, which as noted used the L Pro which makes the image blue/green, would result in a redder image. No Idea what or how I did it :roll: but the darks look normal now. Many thanks Robin for the pointer.