FITS header control

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Ray Hansen

FITS header control

Post by Ray Hansen »

I do a lot of processing in PixInsight of data sets from different dates, filters, gain settings, and so forth. When I set them up in batch preprocessing, I usually have to edit all the FITS headers to get one or two keywords in for sorting. Is it possible to set up a tool in SC to specify the necessary keywords and their values? That would save me some time in a process that already takes too much time.
admin
Site Admin

Re: FITS header control

Post by admin »

Hi Ray,

I'm not quite sure what you are asking for here I'm afraid - perhaps a full example of what you are doing to the FITS headers that you would like to be able to do automatically would help me out.

cheers.

Robin
Ray Hansen

Post by Ray Hansen »

Hi Robin,
I'm looking for an analogue to the file-settings-fits header panel in Maxim DL.

https://cdn.diffractionlimited.com/help ... Header.htm

I just need to set keywords and values to be automatically added to the header when the file is created.

best regards,
Ray
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Ray,

ok, thanks for the pointer. A generic 'add any arbitrary headers you like' window is not currently on my radar. I would be more receptive to adding a small number of fixed additional headers that can either be set automatically or from the settings in the current way that 'TELESCOP' and 'OBSERVER' are in the 'Saving' settings. In particular, if the new headers would benefit a wide range of users.

cheers,

Robin
Ray Hansen

Post by Ray Hansen »

OK. Would it be possible to get a manual assignment of value for keyword FILTER ? Some of my setups run with larger filters not in a wheel. Then I could at least sort on that in batch processing pixinsight.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Ray,

you can actually handle that already - SharpCap has an option to set up a 'manual filter wheel', which doesn't really need to be a wheel, it's just a way to list your filter names and then have some UI to click on to say which filter you are using at the moment. The filter name from that will go into the FILTER header.

You select 'Manual Filter Wheel' in the hardware settings, then you can use the 'Setup' button to configure the names of up to 16 filters.

cheers,

Robin
Ray Hansen

Post by Ray Hansen »

Thanks Robin. I have it working in PI. That will save me a lot of time.
zerolatitude

Post by zerolatitude »

admin wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:31 pm Hi Ray,

ok, thanks for the pointer. A generic 'add any arbitrary headers you like' window is not currently on my radar. I would be more receptive to adding a small number of fixed additional headers that can either be set automatically or from the settings in the current way that 'TELESCOP' and 'OBSERVER' are in the 'Saving' settings. In particular, if the new headers would benefit a wide range of users.

cheers,

Robin
Hi Robin,

A keyword like "SessionNo" or something would be useful, for flats as well as lights. Then PI can be told to organise by SessionNo.

I currently use the capturedate, which generally works well, but then can create issues in overnight imaging. Example, Imaging 4 March 02 am and 04 March 11 pm will get clubbed together with date, but are different sessions.

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

interesting idea - would this be something that could be set up automatically (increment every time you run SharpCap)?

cheers,

Robin
Ray Hansen

Post by Ray Hansen »

Just popped back in here looking for something else. Would it be possible to provide a user-assignable frametyp? I need to change 'Dark Flat' to
'Flat Dark' so that it will sort correctly in PI batch processing. For now, I've been adding a manual step to add them in a custom fashion. Or you could simply hard code the entry in the pull down menu to 'Flat Dark'. If not, that's OK. This is a little thing.

For Zerolat, just record all of your lights, flats, and flat darks to a single directory that includes SESSION X in the title, then make SESSION a grouping keyword in WBPP. PI will then sort everything into the correct group. Useful for fits header keywords as well.