Is it possible to live stack with last images over an already-stacked image?

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
AlbertoTheSpaniard

Is it possible to live stack with last images over an already-stacked image?

Post by AlbertoTheSpaniard »

Hello,

I'm aware that live stacking consists in overlapping multiple images as they are taken, so the final images gets more and more detail.

My question is:

Is it possible to do live stacking, but only with the last images taken?

I mean, a software that allows you to live stack for 1 minute for example, and after that time, only the last images taken are stacked live over the initial 1-min image.

Why I want this?

1. I don't want the image to gradually increase in detail, I want the image to remain all the time with similar amount of detail, but with that appearance of being 'live'.

2. If possible, I don't want hundreds of images stored in my laptop, which already has limited space. After 1 min for example, I want the last let's say 10 images being live stacked, and then removed automatically from my computer. Same with the next 10 live stacked.

Thank you.
oopfan

Re: Is it possible to live stack with last images over an already-stacked image?

Post by oopfan »

Hi Alberto,

Yours is a most interesting request. I've never met someone who didn't want more detail. I have read your post several times, and I think that your primary motivation is to limit the amount of hard disk consumption? I think that there is already a checkbox to tell SharpCap to not save captured frames. Perhaps there are other reasons like you want to image a moving object like a comet or asteroid?

Brian
admin
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to live stack with last images over an already-stacked image?

Post by admin »

Hi,

there isn't an option that will do what you want (which I think is to remove the image from 10 minutes ago from the stack while adding the new one, so that the stack is always a combination of the last 10 images). As Brian says, you can turn off saving individual frames, so you are not storing everying image coming from the computer. You can then reset the stack every now and then to start a new stack. That's the closest you can get. You can even set this up to happen automatically, but that *will* save the stacked image on each reset.

cheers,

Robin
AlbertoTheSpaniard

Post by AlbertoTheSpaniard »

Got it.

Thanks to both of you.

Yes I was looking to it just to have a more 'sense' of live video, without detail increased, rather than images being stacked.