QHY128 Pro C Dark Frame Glow

danford5

QHY128 Pro C Dark Frame Glow

Post by danford5 »

Hello,
I have recently purchased a QHY128 Pro C. I have no experience with cold cmos cameras and am looking for some assistance in determining how to eliminate the glow that I'm getting in my darks (image attached). This glow seems to appear only in darks taken with Sharpcap v3 and v4. The attached dark is 180sec at -15. Settings were Raw 16, 180 sec exposure, Debeyer On, 2200 Gain RGB, offset 10
Darks taken with other software does not display the glow. I'm thinking it may be related to settings however, after trying a number of different settings, the glow still persists. Appreciate any assistance.
Dan
Attachments
15_29_59_QHY128ProC Glow..jpg
15_29_59_QHY128ProC Glow..jpg (857.59 KiB) Viewed 2407 times
Menno555

Re: QHY128 Pro C Dark Frame Glow

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Dan

Looks to be okay for a dark. When I stretch my darks they look the same.
When you use the dark calibration frames, does it work as intended on the stack?

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I can also see a fair bit of horizontal banding in the image, which makes me think that maybe you have used the display stretch functionality in SharpCap to boost the brightness of the dark frames. If you were applying this sort of stretch in SharpCap but not in other software then that would probably account for why the amp glow (and banding) is visible in SharpCap but not elsewhere.

cheers,

Robin
danford5

Post by danford5 »

Thanks.
When darks are applied to an image, it seems to subtract out the lighter areas.
Robin, are there any other controls for the display stretch other than the histogram, that I may be missing?
Thanks,
Dan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dan,

only the three sliding lines in the mini histogram - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#!2!Min ... %20Stretch

That sort of glow near the edges is typical for a number of CMOS sensors (although I have not used the 128C). Do also check that you are using the same gain settings and the same read mode (if the camera supports multiple read modes) in all applications.

cheers,

Robin