Smart Histogram, Re Focus After Filter Change

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
roboscience

Smart Histogram, Re Focus After Filter Change

Post by roboscience »

I have been using the Smart histogram feature with my ZWO 183MCpro, I have switched to a ZW01600MMpro with LRGB & SHO filters, my questions are how important is it to run a focus routine after each filter change when I do a smart histogram analysis for each one, also should I be pointing the telescope at any particular region of the sky ( say.. my target )? Currently I have just been pointing to an "Average" light polluted portion of the sky.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Smart Histogram, Re Focus After Filter Change

Post by admin »

Hi,

the latest versions of SharpCap (SC 4.0 versions) work best if you point the telescope at the target you intend to image for the sky brightness measurement. They will measure the brightness of that part of the sky and use the darkest area in view for the calculations.

There is no need to worry about exact focus for the sky brightness measurements. Obviously, you will want to get good focus before capturing as the filter change can be enough to throw the focus noticeably off.

cheers,

Robin