Cooling of astronomical cameras

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
Moorefam

Cooling of astronomical cameras

Post by Moorefam »

Robin,
I think I noticed a change in the way cameras were cooled some time ago now. Since then I have noticed that at the start of camera cooling the peltier cooling power starts at 0 % and very slowly increases and it takes ages to increase and cool my ZWO ASI 2600MM camera down to the right temp. As a suggestion would it help to start at 100% and reduce this as some function of the difference between the desired temp and the camera? This initial power could be reduced depending on the difference between the desired temp and the camera. What makes it tricky I suppose are the different thermal masses of the cameras? Ideally some overshoot approaching the desired temp is preferable compared to reaching the desired temp very slowly.
I am interested in this because when I change cameras, or have to shut down Sharpcap because it's stuck or something else has happens, the camera temp reverts back to ambient very quickly and I have to start again. Anyway it's only an idea and it's something I used to be involved with a long time ago.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Cooling of astronomical cameras

Post by admin »

Hi,

this was actually a change that came from ZWO. They sent me an email back at the beginning of December saying that their new SDK has a reduced cooling speed to decrease the chance of dew forming during cooling.

Actually, for ZWO cameras, the control over the cooling is limited to ON/OFF and setting the target temperature - SharpCap has no way to set the cooler power manually or override the way ZWO have set up the cooling.

cheers,

Robin