New Feature : Deep Sky Image Annotation

All the latest news about new features and improvements to SharpCap
procyon12

Re: New Feature : Deep Sky Image Annotation

Post by procyon12 »

Hi,

Two more images for illustration, gotten with a 35mm photo lens, QHY174GPS, Skywatcher AZ-GTi, plate solving with ANSVR. There were high clouds, only a few stars and despite some leaves and branches within the FOV plate solving (required for annotation) worked very well:

ClpBrd2_5.png
ClpBrd2_5.png (508.91 KiB) Viewed 2299 times

The annotation (currently inbuilt catalog) will then look like this:

Clipboard08_6.png
Clipboard08_6.png (491.34 KiB) Viewed 2299 times

Cheers, Christian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@roel,

thanks for flagging the CN thread - really encouraging to read how much the feature is being used and how popular the idea of adding additional catalogs is!

Saving settings is pretty close to next on the to-do list - might not happen in time for next week's update, but should for the one after.

cheers,

Robin
procyon12

Post by procyon12 »

Hi Robin,

As far as tested so far (W7-64 and W10-64, v8646 32bit pro) all seems well, thanks again.
The Annotation Font Size is not remembered, maybe a feature ?

One question, in #51 I wrote:
Because one can add several entries by clipboard pasting, could you add an option to delete rows in "Objects in View"?
Could there be a solution?

And (Yes, I know you are about to end the annotation topic ...) - what about the other direction:
I solve the plate, have a nice bright star in the FOV (which is in your built-in catalogue), I click it with the mouse and SC tells me which star it is?

Cheers, Christian
Last edited by procyon12 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikenoname

Post by mikenoname »

Last night on my 2 1/2 hour or so live stream on Night Skies Network I loaded some of the catalogs that Cey and Martin posted on the cloudy nights forum thread (linked by Roel above) and played around with the annotation.

I loaded Martin's mag 17 PGC catalog, so had a total of about 300,000 entries in total and SharpCap seemed to perform perfectly.

Awesome feature. Well done, yet again, Robin!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

oops, yes, I forgot about saving the font size - I will add that.

Would it be sufficient to add an option to clear the 'pasted from clipboard' catalog back to empty? That keeps the UI for removing something in the catalogs list - out of the way of general use, but there if you need it.

One of the things I have been considering for this feature is a toolbar button (like for live stacking) to make it more easily usable. I need to think of what icon image to use though.

Finally, on the size of catalogs - Every time the display is updated (new frame, changing display settings, etc), it runs through all the items in all catalogs to work out which are in view. Each one doesn't take much calculation (an initial check on RA & Dec being in the range shown on screen means most can be dealt with very quickly). However I'm sure that if you start to get into millions of items in the catalogs then this will become slow, and for now, that's just the way it is...

cheers,

Robin
procyon12

Post by procyon12 »

Hi,
Would it be sufficient to add an option to clear the 'pasted from clipboard' catalog back to empty?
Yes.

A toolbar button would be a good option too.

Cheers, Christian
mikenoname

Post by mikenoname »

admin wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:50 pm
One of the things I have been considering for this feature is a toolbar button (like for live stacking) to make it more easily usable. I need to think of what icon image to use though.
Yes, a toolbar button would be great or even just a way to hotkey it for quick access! An icon could be something really simple like a bolded 'A' for annotation.
admin wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:50 pm
Finally, on the size of catalogs - Every time the display is updated (new frame, changing display settings, etc), it runs through all the items in all catalogs to work out which are in view. Each one doesn't take much calculation (an initial check on RA & Dec being in the range shown on screen means most can be dealt with very quickly). However I'm sure that if you start to get into millions of items in the catalogs then this will become slow, and for now, that's just the way it is...
I am looking forward to testing this more. Martin's mag 18 catalog (which is about as deep as I would want to go anyway) would push the total number I have loaded to about 800k, so that would provide a nice test if the 300k I currently run continues to work well.

Mike
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sneak preview of what I have done for the clearing (and also a reload for custom catalogs)
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (55.41 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
Will have a think about the button design :)

cheers,

Robin
procyon12

Post by procyon12 »

that looks good ;)

Christian
donstim

Post by donstim »

Would it be possible (if considered desirable) to have the option to show the image scale (arcsec/pixel) (and maybe even the size of the field-of-view) somewhere on the image?

This is an awesome feature.

Don
Last edited by donstim on Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.