Cannot cannot connect 2 cameras to CGEM II mount

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
martinrw

Cannot cannot connect 2 cameras to CGEM II mount

Post by martinrw »

I am a newbie to imaging. I use PHD2 for guiding and SharpCap for imaging while my mount is a Celestron CGEM II running CPWI software.
Hardware in PHD2 is set for a ZWO ASI120 camera and the mount set to CPWI ASCOM. and works well. Hardware in SharpCap is set to a
ZWO ASI294 camera and the mount to CPWI. CPWI ASCOM is not listed as an option. This does not work I think
because both CPWI and CPWI ASCOM cannot run at the same time. So SharpCap does not run. I hope someone can help me configure my software and
hardware to work together. Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: Cannot cannot connect 2 cameras to CGEM II mount

Post by admin »

Hi,

the 'CPWI' you see in SharpCap and the 'CPWI (ASCOM)' in PHD2 are actually the same - it's just that PHD adds the '(ASCOM)' onto the end of the name to make it clear that it is using ASCOM (PHD also can talk to some mounts directly).

The usual thing that happens when you get problems of this sort is that the first program to connect works and the second fails - so for example if you set SharpCap up to talk to CPWI first then it might work, but PHD will then give an error if you try to set it up to talk to CPWI.

The way to work around this sort of problem is to use a thing called the 'Device Hub Telescope' which comes with ASCOM (in older versions of ASCOM it was called 'POTH' for Plain Old Telescope Hub). This helps share a device between two or more applications - basically you set up both SharpCap and PHD to talk to the device hub telescope, and also configure the device hub to talk to CPWI.

Hope this helps,

Robin