LiveStack saved raws as PNG instead of FITS

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Monika

LiveStack saved raws as PNG instead of FITS

Post by Monika »

Hi there, I tried looking this up and I know a lot of people have had similar issues but I couldn't find the answer to my situation.

I wanted to save my raw frames as FITS in 16bit. I set the colour space to RAW16 and the capture format to FITs. In live stack, I selected "save as 16 bit stack". However, the raw frames saved as PNGs (see screen shot). There were a couple of FITS files with each folder but I don't think these are raw images... I'm just thinking now are these fits files stacked images? So I can't process them like RAW images? I used version 4.0.8395.

Thank you,
Monika
Attachments
screen shot.png
screen shot.png (253.7 KiB) Viewed 236 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: LiveStack saved raws as PNG instead of FITS

Post by admin »

Hi Monika,

your screenshot shows the FITS images that are the stacked results of the live stacking. I guess that the RAW PNG images are in the 'rawframes' subfolder. If you want those to be FITS then you need to set the preferred output format for still images to FITS in the settings (see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Prefer ... l%20Format, but note that this is now on a separate 'Saving' page in the settings in the latest SC 4.0).

Your saved PNG raw frames will be properly raw, and you can process them as you would any other RAW images in FITS format if your stacking application will load PNG (they will be 16 bit MONO PNG images). Alternatively you could convert them to FITS with something like PIPP.

cheers,

Robin